Are you passionate about communications and digital marketing? Do you feel inspired by the valuable services that charities provide Canadians and their important role in our society? Are you ready to leverage your passion and roll up your sleeves to help reach more Canadians about this lesser known cancer? If so, we may have the career for you!
Bladder Cancer Canada (BCC) is currently seeking a dynamic and outgoing Communications Specialist (37.5 hours per week) to work from a home-based office. The successful candidate will take BCC’s internal and external communications to the next level with a goal to broaden and educate BCC’s national audience. This position reports to the BCC Program Manager.
Bladder Cancer Canada is a national bilingual charity with a mission to help bladder cancer patients and their support teams address the day-to-day issues of living with this disease, increase awareness of bladder cancer among the general public and medical community, and fund research that pursues the diagnosis, treatment and elimination of bladder cancer.
- In conjunction with the staff team, develop and implement a yearly Communications Plan which is reflective of the overall strategic plan of the organization
- Assist in the creation of materials, related to the promotion of BCC’s fundraising programs, to support donor cultivation and solicitation as well as donor stewardship and engagement with an emphasis on storytelling
- Oversee, analyze and post across social media assets in accordance with Communications Plan, with the goal to increase engagement and click-through rates
- Maintain the Bladder Cancer Canada website with current and relevant information in collaboration with BCC staff
- Monitor, analyze and maximize traffic on BCC website via Google Analytics and AdWords
- Oversee e-newsletter communications - maintain subscriber lists, write content, coordinate input from team members and ensure distribution of relevant information for each audience
- Liaise with media (including TV, radio and online) to develop relationships, distribute press releases and secure coverage of BCC’s Public Service Announcement and other stories relevant to BCC’s role in the bladder cancer landscape
- Contribute to the overall communications strategy regarding Bladder Cancer Awareness Month and the BCC Awareness Walk.
- Work directly with BCC’s external agency resources to act as the main contact and coordinate marketing and communication-related activities
- Oversee ordering and mailing of printed materials to patients, caregivers, health care professionals; follow up with recipients to ensure materials are received, utilized and restocked on an on-going basis, and inform recipients of new materials available
- Expand distribution of printed materials through contact with clinics, hospitals, and volunteers
- As BCC’s first point of contact, handle all inquiries received via the organization’s toll-free number and main e-mail addresses; disseminate to appropriate staff members as necessary
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or college diploma in Communications or Marketing preferred
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated experience writing Media Releases, articles, correspondence, reports, proposals and other collateral for both print and digital publication and across multiple channels
- English-French bilingual candidates preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of donor, stakeholder, and volunteer audiences
- Familiarity with social media best practices across multiple platforms
- Strong computer skills and technical skills including solid knowledge of graphic design programs such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with website management, either using HTML or Content Management Systems (WordPress preferred) with current website platforms
- Deep understanding of e-mail marketing practices and legislation such as PIPEDA and CASL, and platforms such as MailChimp
- Experience implementing, promoting and conducting webinars using GoToWebinar (or similar platforms)
- Website administration, including ability to comprehend and apply analysis garnered via Google Analytics, as well as SEO using Google AdWords
- Excellent photo and video editing skills
- Experience working for a charity or non-profit and with volunteers would be an asset
Unique skills required for this opportunity
- Self-motivation and accountability are required for this work-from-home position
- Team player collaborating with busy multidisciplinary team and stakeholders located in multiple locations
- Creative and strategic approach when conducting assigned tasks
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and use discretion/diplomacy in dealing with patients, donors, volunteers, board members and colleagues, particularly in handling confidential information
- Ability to balance many projects simultaneously, often at different stages of development and with tight deadlines
- Comfortable using cloud storage and online collaboration platforms – specifically Dropbox
- Some evening and weekend work required to attend events and meetings
- Occasional national travel may be required
No snail mail or phone calls please. Resumes without a covering letter will not be considered.