Title: Manager, Major Gifts & Planned Giving
Department: Marketing and Fund Development
Status: Full-time, Unionized
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Immediate Supervisor: Director, Fund Development
Salary: $63,020 - $81,831
Level: Band 3
Deadline to apply: June 26, 2019
Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women's rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights.
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program, but more than that, we offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change. If you advocate for gender equality, are passionate about women’s rights, and share our values of Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness – we want you on our team!
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Director of Fund Development, the Manager, Major Gifts & Planned Giving (MG/PG) is responsible for driving the performance of a successful major giving, mid-level and planned giving fundraising program that will support, leverage and contribute to the goals, objectives and priorities of Oxfam Canada. The Manager, MG/PG will provide leadership and direction to the Major Gifts & Planned Giving team, implementing a comprehensive, effective and sustainable results-driven fund development plan, aligning resources to maximize return on investment.
Managing several fundraising initiatives, the Manager, MG/PG is responsible for developing, leading and executing comprehensive fundraising strategies to acquire, steward and retain mid, major and legacy donors. They are responsible for identifying, researching, and analyzing prospects for major gift and planned giving cultivation and solicitation.
Essential to success in this role will be the ability to cultivate a thorough knowledge of Oxfam’s mission and programs, and understand and execute philanthropy strategies.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
- Oversee the development and implementation of a major gift growth strategy for Oxfam Canada; including stewardship, solicitation and specific revenue goals related to major giving, mid-level giving, and planned giving
- Manage a small portfolio of approximately 10 assigned top major donors and prospects
- Plan and execute strategies to identify sources of major gift support using creative research techniques and electronic searching methodologies to ensure that organizational wide fundraising initiatives have sufficient prospects to meet fundraising goals.
- Provide to the Director of Fund Development an ongoing analysis of results of solicitations and efforts in the pipeline for the major, mid and planned giving portfolios. (identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship)
- Prepare regular briefings, reports and statistics relating to the major, mid and planned giving portfolios.
- Develop and executes strategies to ensure that newly identified prospects are assigned to appropriate individuals in a timely manner.
- Provide high-level research on individuals, corporations, and foundations using a wide variety of biographical, organizational and financial sources
- Analyze and synthesize accumulated information to assess financial capacity, philanthropic tendencies, giving propensity and linkages to organization.
- Oversee the stewardship strategy of Oxfam’s existing base of mid, legacy and major donors to sustain and grow funding, ensuring a mutually beneficial partnership structure.
- Interpret and translate complex financial, legal and corporate language into easily comprehensible terms while adhering to standards of discretion and confidentiality.
- Provide direction on the segmentation and management of large groups of prospects and donors identified through screening processes.
- Work closely with Fund Development and other departments to ensure the establishment of a transparent and integrated fundraising strategy
- Work closely with other teams to assist with the strategic development and execution of cultivation and stewardship events and/or marketing initiatives to maximize mid, major and legacy donor engagement and advancement opportunities
- Work with other teams to support overall strategy for solicitation, cultivation and stewardship of corporate and charitable foundation partnerships for revenue generation and in-kind support;
- Supervise the work of FDO Major Gifts, FDO Planned Giving and other staff deemed to be within the unit; evaluates performance, and provides on-going support and input to the team;
- Manage budget for Major Gifts & Planned Giving team
- Manage database of major donors and prospects; overseeing the timely and effective processing of all acknowledgement to major donors and charitable tax receipts using Sales Force software program
- Oversee Major Gifts initiatives, including Oxfam Canada’s Giving Circle fundraising program, and impact fund
- Support Board of Directors fundraising committee as needed
- Any other duties as appropriate and as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- Minimum seven (7) years related experience, with minimum of three (3) years demonstrated experience in prospect research
- Three (3) years staff management experience, demonstrating proven skills in staff supervision and team leadership, balancing direction and support in a collaborative work environment focused on achievement of results, building morale and group commitments in order to achieve organizational goals and objectives, preferably in a unionized environment
- Demonstrated analytical skills to initiate and perform complex analyses and organize information to identify philanthropic patterns, tendencies, and relationships among individuals, corporations and foundations
- Working knowledge of estate and tax planning principles, practices and techniques, as well as applicable federal and provincial laws, codes and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and develop proactive prospecting methodologies to support organizational goals, including internet-based research, data mining, sophisticated constituent database queries, etc.
- Demonstrated strong knowledge, understanding and commitment to global justice, social change, women’s rights and gender equality;
- Demonstrated record of success in solicitation of major gifts $10k+
- Excellent relationship and stakeholder manager who has a commitment to collaboration and teamwork across the department and organizational-wide;
- Strong knowledge of major gift moves theory and practice
- Exceptional interpersonal skills using diplomacy, discretion, empathy and tact;
- Strong judgement and problem solving with an innate willingness to find reasonable solutions
- Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong computing skills in database management relating to stewardship, preferably Sales Force, is essential;
- Comprehensive knowledge of planned giving vehicles and demonstrated experience negotiating and securing planned gifts
- Working understanding of board governance practices.
- Possess excellent understanding of tax rules as applied to charitable giving and must keep abreast of new legislation and Canada Revenue Agency rulings affecting gifts
- Ability and willingness to undertake frequent national travel as required and occasionally internationally, sometimes in difficult circumstances
- CFRE and/or a background in the financial planning sector in an advisory capacity is an asset
- Willingness to sign and abide by the Oxfam Code of Conduct.
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **
Please submit applications to: https://oxfamcanada.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=11
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require.
Important Note: All offers of employment are conditional upon signing our strict code of conduct, subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for Oxfam Canada.
For additional career opportunities within Oxfam Canada, please visit oxfam.ca/employment-oppportunities.Please note that we are not able to offer internships or overseas volunteer placements.
We welcome you to join our movement – sign up for news and updates today.