The Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO), a non-profit organization representing Ontario’s municipal governments, is seeking an Accounting Manager.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, the Manager of Accounting is responsible for the overall operation and management of the Accounting Department and the supervision of staff in the delivery of these services to the Association and related organizations. Responsibilities include financial reporting for multiple non-profit corporations, financial system and general ledger maintenance, year end audit preparation, payroll, budgeting, reporting tool management and enhancement, staff supervision, communication and collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, analysis and more. Accounting Manager will act as subject matter expert resource.
- Manage the activities of the accounting team, (Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable Clerks, and Senior Accounting Clerks.) including staff development, succession planning, performance management/review, coaching/mentoring, health and safety, discipline and termination recommendations.
- Assess staffing needs, makes recommendations on complement amendments and organization structure, participates in recruitment processes, and makes effective hiring recommendations.
- Assess staff knowledge and skills and taking the appropriate action either on a group or individual basis to close any gaps.
- Develop, control and monitor annual work plans for the Department.
- Participate as a member of the Finance Division’s team, providing input on departmental planning and strategic initiatives
- Manage and monitor the financial systems for AMO, LAS, MEPCO, ROMA, OSUM and other related entities in order to ensure that the finances are maintained in an accurate and timely manner, and will
- Facilitate the annual budget process and prepares the annual budget files and templates under the direction of Director of Finance and Operations in consultation with the rest of the senior management team in time for the various Boards to discuss and approve
- Brings forward improvements to the financial policies and procedures for approval and implementation, including investment policy
- Establish and maintain chart of accounts for all companies and subsidiaries in order to provide consistency and the ability to run a variety of reports
- Responsible for the maintenance of an up-to-date balanced general ledger and related supporting documentation, including journal entries, etc. in order to provide timely reports and financial statements
- Oversee the gas tax fund payments, reconciles fund, and implements controls in order to provide accountability and identify any emerging concerns
- Establishes and maintains cash controls, cash-flow management and provides cash-flow reports weekly
- Monitor cash reserves and investments in order to identify any emerging concerns
- Prepare and review bank reconciliations
- Manage credit card program and usage
- Works with Microsoft Dynamics GP Systems Administrator to ensure that the computerized accounting system is being administered correctly, including version upgrades and security, with the aim of continuously improving the integrated accounting systems adjusting for policy and practices and changes in GP reporting tool
- Oversee the accounts payable and accounts receivable systems in order to ensure complete and accurate record of all moneys
- Prepare annual working papers, monthly and annual financial statements and reports, and year-end procedures.
- Oversite and preparation of payroll, attendance tracking, reconciliation, monthly and year end preparation of reports
- Responsible for the upkeep of payroll files and records in order to ensure accurate enrolment and payroll process including benefits and allowance
- Provide efficient and effective management of accounting records by:
- Overseeing the filing, storage, and security of financial and accounting documents
- Overseeing record retention for accounting documents
- Financial administration of any grants and special programs, including preparation of financial data for requests, review and monitoring of any financial milestones in agreements, development of related controls, reconciliation of financial activity, and financial reporting, including the completion of all claims and legislative reports.
- Prepare analysis for insurance and auditor contract renewals
- Prepares reports and collaborates with other staff specialists
- Leads and/or participates on project teams, as assigned
- Assist with August AGM/Conference/Trade Show, including on site role, financial control, reconciliation and reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
A Canadian CPA (legacy CA, CGA, CMA) designation, minimum two years accounting manager experience and strong Microsoft Excel skills are required. Experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP and related reporting tools is an asset.
This position is based in Toronto. AMO offers a competitive salary and benefit package including defined benefit pension.
Please apply in confidence to: HR@amo.on.ca referencing in the subject line “Accounting Manager 2019”. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Association of Municipalities of Ontario
200 University Avenue, Suite 801
Toronto, ON M5H 3C6