VANCOUVER PUBLIC LIBRARY FOUNDATION
The Vancouver Public Library Foundation was established in 1997 to raise funds to support and enhance Vancouver Public Library (VPL) spaces, collections, programs and services. The library is a cornerstone of our community, offering collections, spaces, programs and services that inform, engage and connect all members of our community.
We are seeking a Development Assistant to join our growing team. Your excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and problem-solving abilities help you to build strong relationships with Board members, donors and prospective supporters. You are patient, analytical, and responsive. You have a professional manner and the ability to interact diplomatically with a wide variety of people, and you value the role libraries play in our community.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Assistant is responsible for providing strategic support to the VPLF team, Foundation Board and Committees.
This position is essential to a streamlined and donor-centered office operation. The role is pivotal within our collaborative office culture and is often the first point of contact for volunteers and donors.
The ideal Development Assistant candidate would describe themselves as self-directed, process-oriented, and comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
The Development Assistant will be responsible for:
- Providing direct administrative support to the team by assisting in the preparation of confidential correspondence, formatting donor proposals and stewardship reports, preparing agendas and taking minutes for meetings.
- Providing direct support to the Executive Director - this work will include scheduling, arranging meeting logistics, and coordination with other support teams. Previous experience as an Executive Assistant will be considered an asset.
- Providing direct administrative support to the VPL Foundation Board, including preparation of timely and accurate Board packages and other meeting materials in adherence with Board and Committee meeting schedules
- Assisting with the planning and execution of events.
- Managing Raiser’s Edge database including: entering gifts, pledges, donor and prospect information and activities; generating and presenting reports for analysis; and recommending actions to frontline fundraisers based on information pulled from RE.
- Managing and maintaining of other datasheets tracking prospects, revenue, vendor payments, naming commitments, fundraising activities, responses to appeals and other measurable activities.
- Recommending, establishing, and implementing procedures for records management
- Entering campaign and appeal information to Raiser’s Edge for tracking and reporting purposes
- Assisting the Development Officers with direct mail projects; ensuring data integrity and conducting mail merges.
- Conducting preliminary prospect research
- Work with ED and VPL Accounting to prepare documentation for the audit
- Produce donor receipts
- Serving as the first point of contact for the Foundation, answering routine enquiries and directing other questions to the appropriate VPL/VPLF contact.
Required Skills and Experience
- Strong command of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Outstanding written and spoken communication skills
- 2+ years experience in an administrative support role
- Proven attention to detail with excellent proofreading skills
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a small, flexible team as well as autonomously
- Self motivated, and accountable with strong time management abilities
- Ability to adjust priorities to meet urgent requests
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion, maintaining a high level of customer service while ensuring confidentiality to all our donors, volunteers, supporters and staff
Additional Skills and Experience
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising /CRM database
- Experience working in a not-for-profit environment
- Experience supporting boards
- Experience working with senior community leaders and volunteers
- Undergraduate degree and/or certificate in business administration, fundraising or marketing
We thank all applicants and advise that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.