Haven Toronto is a drop-in centre where elder homeless, marginally housed and socially isolated men can feel safe, where they can form and cultivate friendships, and become part of a community. The counselor will provide direct counseling and referral services to clients. Oversee friendly visiting volunteers, mentor students, and volunteers.
- Assist clients in identifying and working towards their goals from a trauma-informed client-centered perspective.
- Support clients in coordinating referrals to community services and at Haven Toronto.
- Prepare documentation of interventions, services, maintenance of records and statistics, providing written reports and proposals.
- Collaborate with clients, other professionals to develop appropriate, client-centered individual care plans.
- Involvement and participation in community activities, tables and support networks, as appropriate.
- Participate and work collaboratively with other members of Haven Toronto Team.
- Advocate for Haven Toronto clients.
- Assists other staff in the provision of services to clients, as required.
- Undertakes outreach services as required.
- Degree in Social Work or equivalent education or experience.
- Knowledge and skills related to concurrent disorders, trauma-informed care, brief treatment, harm reduction, and de-escalation.
- Strong knowledge of and ability to apply principles of risk management and crisis intervention.
- Demonstrated ability to intervene effectively in situations requiring the management of behaviours and possess effective decision making and problem-solving skills in dealing with clients.
- Comprehensive knowledge of community resources, substance use resources/referral sources, in Metro Toronto.
- Support clients in obtaining housing.
- Ability to provide culturally competent service to clients of diverse ethno racial and cultural backgrounds is essential.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills; be able to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, have strong writing and presentation skills.
- Able to meet project deadlines, and have excellent computer skills and knowledge of technology to enhance communication and learning.
- Experience with homeless clients preferred and elder homeless men.
Reporting relationship: Executive Director
No phone calls, faxes, or mailed resumes, please.
We strive to foster a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community we serve and welcome applications from all qualified candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Haven Toronto is also committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation measures to ensure you will be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality.
This is a position covered by a Collective Agreement with CUPE-2289-05. After the sucessful probationary period, there will be medical and dental benefits and a Multi-Sector Pension Plan.
Resumes can be submitted to by February 1, 2019:
170 Jarvis St.
Toronto, ON M5b 2B7