Date Posted: June 10, 2019
Position Title: Vice President, Children and Youth Services
Location: Joyce YMCA: Vancouver, BC (Travel is required to visit programs across the Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley, and Sunshine Coast)
Terms: Permanent Full-Time
Salary Range: Under Review, includes benefits
Placement: August 2019
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is a charity dedicated to strengthening the foundations of community, by nurturing the potential of children, teens & young adults, promoting healthy lifestyles, fostering a sense of social responsibility and delivering lasting personal & social change. We are building a community in which a generation of children and families reach their full potential. Our values guide our decision-making and behaviour—we do the right thing, put people first, keep our promises and lead by example.
We’ve been a part of the Lower Mainland for more than 130 years––a place where people of every age and background find the support they need to reach their potential. Serving 120,000 people annually, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver provides programs and services in health and fitness, aquatics, child care, camp, employment, education and training, child and family development, immigrant services, global initiatives, youth leadership development and health management. In all things, we align our activities with our values:
- Do the right thing - We are caring, respectful, honest and responsible in all we do
- Put people first - We believe in the strengths, perspectives and passion of people
- Keep our promises -We do what we say we will do
- Lead by example -We are courageous, speak with conviction, listen attentively and collaborate
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is in our third phase of Focus 20/20, an ambitious strategic plan with a 10-year vision to build healthier, more connected communities, where everyone reaches their potential. We are in the midst of significantly expanding our physical and social infrastructure, with the addition of four new health, fitness and aquatic centres, 1,500 new child care spaces, and a plan to double our services offered to youth.
Nature & Scope:
As we continue to grow and evolve, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver is searching for a new leader for our Children and Youth Services and its dedicated team of staff and volunteers. Programming includes early year’s child care, school age child care, overnight camps, outdoor education, day camps, sports leagues, and youth programming. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the priorities for the position will include:
- Managing an annual operating budget of $20M
- Daily operations of over 80 sites, primarily licensed and unlicensed children’s programs
- Engagement and development of over 500 employees.
- Development of new systems for administration and training as we expand our operations by 50% over the next 5 years
Achieve operational performance and growth
- Ensure each branch meets the strategic plan and operational goals of the Association
- Drive services to meet and exceed best practices to advance the YMCA’s role as a leader in children and youth programming
- Manage and achieve the annual financial targets and goals established in the operating budgets
- Provide leadership to the development of administrative and organisation systems across the Association
- Onboard $10M in new program revenue, its associated employees and participants. Primarily in child care operations
Create a culture of integration and leadership
- Provide leadership to a team of approximately 600 staff and volunteers, ensuring staff have the skills and knowledge required to perform roles in line with expectations of their functions
- Support direct reports in the performance management of staff and volunteer teams
- Collaborate with the Association’s Senior Leadership Team to establish and implement principles and practices for an integrated model that improves the peoples experience and program quality in all programs
- Develop, annual performance objectives for self; coach and support the development of annual performance objectives for management team; approve and hold team accountable
- Support recruitment, retention and performance management strategies to build an effective team
- Participate on the YMCA Leadership Forum and Operations Leadership Team through regular attendance at meetings and training, including attendance at board meetings
- Attend professional development workshops, organizational meetings; conduct regular staff meetings
Lead and role model the YMCA's commitment to philanthropy and volunteerism
- Provide leadership to the YMCA Strong Kids Campaign and achieve targets through direct oversight of recruitment, training, supervision and recognition of campaign staff, volunteers, and donors
- Ensure the YMCA's reputation as charity of choice is understood and supported by the community
- Exemplify the value of philanthropy and volunteerism and share this knowledge and belief with staff, volunteers and members
- Establish rapport and maintain effective relationships with staff, volunteers, and community; model behaviour in line with the YMCA Mission, Vision and Values
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum 5 - 7 years senior leadership and management experience in a multi-disciplined community agency, preferably in a charity/not-for-profit environment, solid understanding of government contract management and bid processes
- Post-secondary degree or equivalent University Degree in related Business Administration or combination of relevant education and experience
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to establish rapport with our diverse families, staff, volunteers, community stakeholders and partners, as well as commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment, responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to diverse needs, including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Excellent written communication and public speaking skills
- Good judgement and sound decision making in resolving complex issues
- Proven leadership of dedicated, high-performance teams
- Ability to regularly travel throughout Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley, and Sea to Sky corridor
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and other data based tracking software
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification (can be obtained within first 60 days of employment)
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- Valid British Columbia Driver’s License and access to use of personal vehicle
In addition to bringing a commitment to YMCA vision and values, the candidate should possess the following competencies:
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes an understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, outcomes and values of the YMCA.
Results Oriented: The ability to lead, manage and achieve identified goals.
Leadership: Guides, motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
Quality Focus: Ensures YMCA programs and services are superior.
Managing Change: Initiates and manages change to achieve the strategic outcomes for the YMCA.
Outcome Thinking: Visualizes, understands and articulates YMCA outcomes and formulates strategies, plans and actions for achievement.
Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring a richness to the YMCA.
Philanthropy: Demonstrates a personal responsibility for the YMCA as a charity.
Please apply using the link below:
Application Deadline: 6:00pm on June 23, 2019
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.