Please apply for this position on the UBC Careers website: www.staffcareers.ubc.ca/32418
The Senior Program Assistant, Branch for International Surgical Care (BISC) coordinates the inaugural Master of Global Surgical Care (MGSC), and the Graduate Certificate in Global Surgical Care (GCGSC) BISC programs. The incumbent supports the day-to-day operations and establishes work schedules and priorities. The incumbent identifies needed improvements and implements changes in order to perform work more efficiently while providing a service-friendly atmosphere for graduate students and instructors. The Senior Program Assistant BISC provides administrative support to the Managing Director, BISC and the Director, BISC.
Student Records, Advising, Registration and Admissions Support
- Directs and advises students regarding course registration, course availability, waitlists and timetabling;
- Coordinates course changes, audits approval and student overload or leave of absence requests;
Supports student registration, course selections and graduation;
- Coordinates applications for admissions and processes irregular applications, using judgement and established policy;
- Responds to complex student issues or complaints;
- Anticipates and meets needs of students and instructors during course scheduling;
- Updates and maintains student records and files;
- Provides guidance on all aspects of the SSC, SISC, SCMC, FSC and Degree Navigator systems; ensures errors are corrected, approvals and changes are input;
Produces class rosters/data/information as requested and shares with BISC leadership and instructors as needed;· Supports with course scheduling, timetabling, classroom bookings, seat restrictions and student registration for the BISC;
- Organizes program information sessions to inform students of program options and requirements;
- Supports students applying for external awards by completing required paperwork and providing official documents;
- Coordinates the collect of tuition deposits.
Education and BISC Administration
- Responds to inquiries from students, prospective students and faculty;
- Produces accurate, relevant, easy to understand communications across multiple platforms, for example, the student website, Learning Management System and social media, for a variety of stakeholders;
- Designs and develops welcome and preparation communications and resources for incoming students, and student rosters;
- Supports the further development of the BISC Instructor Guide outlining critical information and assists Instructors with all aspects of education delivery;
- Creates formal presentations for BISC stakeholders;
Coordinates and maintains a filing system and bring forward system for all documentation related to the BISC education programs;· Communicates regularly with BISC leadership and instructors to ensure the timely collection or distribution of student and course information;
- Organizes regular BISC meetings including booking rooms and catering, inviting attendees, creating agendas, preparing meeting materials, taking meeting minutes, documenting critical incidents or decisions;
- Supports the BISC awards portfolio by organizing awards timelines, selection committees and communications to applicants, confirms award amounts/criteria with the Faculty of Grad Studies/ UBC Awards/donors tracking and accuracy;
- Develops, maintains and modifies complex surveys and databases as requested;
- Prepares and produces various statistical reports including program statistics, grade reports, student rankings, instructor evaluations and grade distribution reports;
- Prepares and administers student satisfaction surveys, develops summary reports with data analysis and visual presentation of data;
Provides input for the development of written policies for students, instructors and staff;
- Coordinates orientations, special courses or rounds, conferences, events, networking events, workshops and others, including organizing communications, logistics, budgets, fees, payments and schedules and arranging facilitators, presenters as necessary.
- Assists with the creation and maintenance of databases and spreadsheets to inform budget development, monitors payments, reconciles approved budgets, completes expense reimbursements;
- Prepares pre-departure information for BISC stakeholders when travelling.
- Performs other related duties, as required.
- High School graduation and two year post-secondary diploma.
- 4 years related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative suite (emphasis on InDesign) HTML, Connect, WordPress, Online Learning Platform (Canvas) UBC Student Information System (SISC), UBC Faculty Service Centre (FSC) and Scheduling and Curriculum Management Centre (SCMC).
- Experience working with students, answering inquiries and resolving problems and issues.
- Experience with on-line portals and writing for the web an asset.
- Experience with the UBC admissions processes an asset. - Ability to take initiative, prioritize and work effectively under pressure and meet the deadlines and demands of a very busy office.
- Ability to accurately interpret, and make and support students within established UBC and BISC guidelines and regulations.
- Ability to manage financial matters gathering, organizing and summarizing financial information.
- Ability to handle a wide variety of tasks and establish priorities, organizing workload for timely and effective delivery of services, including careful attention to details.
- Ability to exercise judgement under pressure and demonstrate initiative in handling matters of a complex and non-routine nature.
- Ability to work flexible hours and overtime, on occasion, if required.
- Ability to exercise initiative, tact and discretion, poise.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills