Role and Responsibilities
This is an intermediate level position within the Finance and Administration department of the Provincial Treasury Office.
Reports to: Senior Accountant
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES include but not limited to the following:
- Responsible for administering all aspects of payroll, including accounting & remittances; RRSP & benefit deductions; & regular reconciliations.
- Responsible for monitoring payroll legislation and revising of the internal employee manual policies, as applicable.
- All activities of the Oblate membership as it related to banking & travel insurance
- Bank and investment reconciliations; regular reconciliations of Patrimony & Provident Funds.
- Assist certain divisions with budgets and expense reconciliation
- Responsible for coaching of field employees with Human Resource issues, QuickBooks and other financial matters
- Assist the Senior Accountant in preparation of interim financial reporting and yearly external audits
TYPICAL ACTIVITIES include the following, other activities may be assigned:
- Processing of bi-weekly payroll for approximately 90 - 130 employees; payroll processed via Excel spreadsheet, on-line Ceridian PowerPay & information submitted by district administrators.
- Ensure all data files are complete for timely transmission to Ceridian.
- Investigate and resolve payroll issues with management at various operating locations.
- Ensure the timely processing of journal entries into the accounting system.
- Prepare and submit payroll deductions and remittances on a timely basis and ensure records are up to date.
- Prepare T4’s, T4A’s ROE’s, and various payroll reports as requested.
- Reconcile WSIB, EHT and payroll deductions for annual reporting.
- Coordinate employee benefits and administration as necessary.
- Provide input for the development of policies and procedures based on the provincial legislation of multiple provinces.
- Bi-weekly submission of the RRSP contributions.
- Quarterly and year-end accrual of payroll and vacation.
- Support the CAO and the field officers/affiliates with Payroll, Benefits and Human Resource issues and inquiries.
- Complete Human Resources reports, as requested by the management.
- Support membership & field officers with CIBC bank and US Bank Visa updates/changes; travel insurance as applicable.
- Regular reconciliation of payroll & deductions; bank accounts; Investment holdings & Patrimony & Provident Fund balances.
- Create and/or run reports from payroll.
- Distribution of the car insurance slips to the Oblates in all provinces
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations.
- Purchase travel insurance and distribute the travel insurance slips to the Oblates in all provinces. Monitor when the travel insurances expire and inquire about the renewal if needed. Exercise due diligence in making sure that all Oblates travelling are covered by travel insurance.
- Prepare semi-annual financial statements and yearly external audit documents. All corporations are audited or reviewed, and this would require gathering information, catalogue and prepare files for the auditors and other tasks as required.
- Occasional preparation of statistics & reports, as requested by leadership/committee members
- Perform other duties as assigned.
These responsibilities are part of the cross-training program and to fill in while the co-workers in the Finance department are absent or unavailable.
- Deposits and other banking requirements.
- Accounts Payables and Receivables for OMI Lacombe and the affiliate corporations. This represents approximately 15 entities, processed through QuickBooks, producing cheques/on-line payments, obtaining signatures and distributing payments.
- Ensure corporate documentation is processed in accordance with GAAP and Corporation by-laws.
- Fixed asset tracking which includes vehicles and properties and applicable depreciation.
- Vehicle licensing and reconciliation of insurance coverage.
- Assist with the gathering and analysis of information for the Finance Committee
- Assist with the administration of the corporate reporting requirements, ensuring compliance with accounting and industry Canada and related Provincial standards, notifying government agencies of changes, ensuring that corporate details are accurate and are supported by approved budgets and/or corporate minute/resolutions.
- The Corporation has a Finance committee that meets periodically during the year, this person may need to provide support material to the committee by, gathering and/or preparing financial reports.
- There are currently 5 district offices with staff completing financial tasks, this person would be available as an accounting & QuickBooks advisor, assisting with day to day financial transactions, training and support.
- The organization owns approximately 80 vehicles as well as approximately 30 properties across the country this individual would assist with the management of fleet insurance and licensing, tracking the vehicles, dealing with the insurance carrier on renewal of property insurance, claims and appraisals
- Dealing with our 2 main banks ensuring that deposits are done on time, recorded within QuickBooks and notifications being sent out.
- Some of our smaller divisions do not have direct financial support; this person would assist them with their yearly budget preparation, reconciliation of expenses and producing financial reports
KEY RELATIONSHIPS To perform the typical duties of this job successfully, an individual must have contact with certain people that are not in the direct reporting relationship.
Any/all staff and representatives, our congregation & affiliate congregations
Oblates from the congregation
Contractors and external service providers
Members of the general public
Representatives of other local authorities
Representatives of community groups, industries and other organizations
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY Decisions that are made in carrying out the typical duties of the job.
Working in a team environment, assisting in meeting the expectations of the Treasury department group
PROBLEM SOLVING RESPONSIBILITY:
Management of increasing service expectations within existing budgetary/financial constraints.
Prioritization of workload allocations within the organization to meet competing expectations and deadlines.
Dealing with diversity and range of community interests and their political repercussions.
Extensive knowledge of QuickBooks
Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft products with a strong skill set in Excel
Ability to work in a fully functional and integrated team environment
Payroll experience on the Ceridian platform (Power Pay) is a must
Bilingual (French and English) is a must.