Reports to: National Director, Movement Transformation
Language Requirement: Bilingual Imperative (English and French)
The Administrative Officer is responsible for providing assistance to senior staff across multiple portfolios at United Way Centraide Canada (UWCC) in support of member United Ways Centraides (UWCs). In addition, this person acts in a public-facing role within the Ottawa office and engages regularly with UWCs across Canada. This role involves balancing many different projects and seeing them to completion, providing customer service to stakeholders and members, and creating a welcoming environment for visitors to UWCC.
- Works closely with senior staff to support their portfolios.
- Answers telephones and emails, and directs inquiries to the correct staff where appropriate.
- Co-ordinates mailing/shipping materials.
- Assists in organizing meetings, special events and webinars, including coordinating registration and providing customer service.
- Provides content support for meetings, including drafting agendas, preparing materials, developing presentations, and taking meeting notes and/or minutes.
- Prepares project reports and related materials.
- Supports members in accessing tools and resources available through UWCC and United Way Worldwide.
- Prepares and keeps the physical space organized and tidy/organized, including common areas (lobby, boardroom, and kitchen). This includes daily kitchen clean up, as well as preparation for meetings (beverages, food, etc.).
- In his/her absence, acts as back-up to other administrative staff.
Accountability & Responsibility Level
- Strategic oversight: Responsible for implementing strategies and tactics. Project and individual performance.
- Strategic Planning: Participates in implementing strategies and tactics. Drafts, executes and reports on project plans.
- Financial budget: Executes approved budgets.
- Governance: Committee support as assigned.
Internal: UWCC Staff
External: Local UWCs, Related organizations & Other external parties as required
- Minimum of a college diploma in administration, business, office or event management or a related field
- Minimum of 2-years experience in a comparable administrative environment
Skills / Knowledge
- Professional, friendly, enthusiastic and respectful.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with positive disposition.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written, verbal and electronic communication skills in both official languages.
- Outstanding work ethic and superb attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
- Proficient with the latest software, including the MS Office products, meeting software, event management tools survey instruments.
- Thrives in a high-energy and rapidly changing environment.
- Capacity and competency to engage a large volume of work while managing interruptions and maintaining top-level customer service.
- Discrete and able to work with confidential information.
- Exercises good judgment.
- Must pass Ottawa’s “Police Records Check.”
- Located at UWCC’s national office in Ottawa. Works in an open office space and may work from remote locations at times.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as necessary, as well as to travel.
United Way Centraide Canada Employee Covenant
As part of United Way Centraide Canada, employees must live by the Covenant that guides our work. It is our promise that UWCC is a community and its success depends on all of us. We believe everyone has value, has something to contribute, can reach their potential and deserves respect. A safe and supportive community is everyone’s responsibility.
This covenant, which reflects both a collective and personal commitment on the part of all employees, guides our work and our professional conduct, and is set out in a balanced framework of core values:
Professional Values: Working with competence, excellence, and efficiency.
Ethical Values: Acting at all times in such a way as to uphold the public trust.
People Values: Demonstrating respect, fairness and courtesy in dealings with colleagues, our membership, our partners and the public.