Job Posting – Canadian Jesuits International
Office and Database Administrator
Canadian Jesuits International (CJI) is seeking a highly motivated, dynamic individual to be responsible for all the administrative functions of the CJI office, bookkeeping and the administration of the database system (Raiser’s Edge).
Canadian Jesuits International is the overseas development agency of the Jesuits in Canada. Working with partners in Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, CJI supports programs in education, agriculture, human rights, health, pastoral care and emergency relief. We raise awareness among Canadians about the causes of injustice and poverty in the Global South.
The Office and Data System Administrator is responsible for conducting and coordinating the administrative aspect of all CJI operations. This position supports the CJI’s office and its various areas of work: international program, outreach, communications, fundraising, finance, and governance. A central function of the position is the management of the database using the Raiser’s Edge system, as well as basic bookkeeping using QuickBooks.
The Office Administrator reports to the Director of Canadian Jesuits International to perform administrative duties as required.
1. Office Administration
- Be responsible for the general operation of CJI’s office, ensuring that mechanisms and procedures are in place to fulfill CJI’s mission effectively and efficiently.
- Identify areas for improved organization and efficiency.
- Oversee the effective and efficient operation and maintenance of all office equipment, supplies and space.
- Oversee and monitor contract services with computer/network service provider.
- Ensure that electronic and hard‐copy filing systems are up to date and meet CJI’s needs.
- Open, date and sort mail; organize mailings and other distribution of material.
- Answer phone calls and respond to general correspondence.
- Receive visitors to the office and contribute to an atmosphere of welcome and hospitality for visitors.
2. Fundraising Administration
a. Database management
- Be responsible for all aspects of processing, receipting and acknowledging donations, including on line donations, preparation of mailing lists, and the generation of donations reports as required, using the organization’s database and relationship management system Raiser’s Edge.
- Manage Canada Helps donations and update donation/campaign pages.
- Update, edit and maintain all donor information in the database.
- Sort, batch, code and track reply coupons and donations.
- Maintain accurate income‐tax receipts and donation processing record files in keeping with auditor requirements.
- Assist in the analysis of donation reports to help identify trends and future options.
b. Donor development and cultivation
- Sustain appropriate frequency and quality of communication with donors, including the timely acknowledgement and follow‐up for all donor requests, and the distribution of communications material such as newsletters, appeals, and project updates.
- Assist in the development and implementation of strategies to cultivate and solicit support from donors; maximize online donations by identifying and developing new initiatives for fundraising online through Canada Helps; actively participate in the identification, design and execution of special appeals, including emergency and targeted appeals.
3. Finance Administration
- Work closely with the accountant to administer CJI finances.
- Prepare bank wire transfers for project payments and keep record of payments, receipts and project balances.
- Perform basic bookkeeping, including entering all payables and producing cheques when necessary.
- Enter and review donations reports (batch and fund reports) for accuracy
- Prepare bank deposits and check batches against bank deposits for accuracy.
- Be responsible for VISA credit card of CJI, monitoring its use and payment.
- Maintain petty cash, reconcile and submit reports.
4. Administrative support to Programs, Outreach and Communications Area
- Assist the Director and Program Coordinator with the administrative needs of project partners, and contribute to the maintenance of fluid, supportive relations with them.
- Arrange for travel of partners and other visitors as required.
- Oversee the organization and logistical support of CJI’s meetings and social activities.
- Assist the Outreach Coordinator in planning and carrying out public education events and other activities, as required.
- Collaborate with the Communications Coordinator in the production of CJI’s newsletter and other publications, including proofreading, coordinating printing, mailing and distribution.
5. Board/governance Administration
- Oversee the organization and logistical support of meetings of CJI’s board of trustees and board committees.
- Take minutes of Board and other meetings, and prepare drafts for the Director’s approval.
- Write routine correspondence for the Director or on behalf of the organization as required.
- Complete required administrative forms.
- Proofread CJI correspondence as required.
- Direct support to CJI’s Director as required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of database management. Knowledge and experience in using Raiser’s Edge fundraising software is required.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office software and Internet tools is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic bookkeeping. Knowledge of QuickBooks is highly desirable.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Highly organized and able to manage time effectively.
- Self‐motivated professional with the ability to take initiative.
- Attention to detail combined with creative problem solving.
- Ability to work as a dedicated team member.
- Cross-cultural communications skills.
- An understanding and commitment to the mission of CJI.
- Post-secondary education plus 2‐ 3 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to work in Spanish and/or French is an asset.
- Skilled in computers, social media, web and print communication, including basic design skills.
- Strong administrative, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Understanding of Catholic social teaching an asset.
OFFICE LOCATION: 70 St. Mary Street, Toronto
POSITION TYPE: Permanent
START DATE: Immediately
ACCOUNTABILITY: Reports to the Executive Director of CJI
SALARY RANGE: $40,000 - $50,000
Applications will be reviewed as they are received until a suitable candidate is found. We seek to fill this position immediately. We encourage you to apply early.
CJI is committed to diversity in its workplace and welcomes applications from qualified candidates eligible to work in Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for the next stage in the recruitment process will be contacted.