The ideal candidate for the Coordinator, Integrated Marketing is a resourceful self-starter who wants to be part of creating a renewed presence for the ALS Society of Canada in a collaborative and results-focused environment. Reporting to the Manager, Integrated Marketing and Brand Strategy, you will be responsible for executing marketing strategies in support of the annual Operations Plan and supporting emerging opportunities. You are someone who takes initiative while demonstrating excellent judgment and a keen awareness of how your work connects with other areas of the organization and the community at large. A significant focus of this role is telling the stories of and engaging with the ALS community through the ALS Canada blog, website, social media channels and other vehicles; and maintaining and developing online and offline content. You are flexible, comfortable in an evolving role with few precedents, adept in navigating a complex, multi-stakeholder environment, and can admirably balance a high volume of work with high-quality output. You demonstrate leadership within your area of responsibility and will ideally be bilingual in English and French. You have 2 years of relevant experience and want to do meaningful work with an engaged community in support of a cause that requires significant awareness and support.
About ALS Canada
A charitable organization that lives its values of accountability, collaboration, compassion, integrity, resiliency and respect, ALS Canada works with the ALS community to improve the lives of people affected by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis through support, advocacy and investment in research for a future without ALS. Fully funded by donors, we were fortunate to benefit from the generosity of Canadians during the Ice Bucket Challenge of 2014, and are now focused on implementing our 2018 to 2023 strategic plan in support of the following long-term impacts: people affected by ALS receive the best possible standard of care; more treatments are available to improve quality of life and extend lifespan; and people are empowered to make informed decisions about ALS.
With annual revenues of more than $7 million, ALS Canada funds peer-reviewed research grants through the ALS Canada Research Program. Within Ontario, we have a role similar to that of the provincial ALS Societies providing services and support to help people living with ALS to navigate the complexities of the disease, which over time takes away one’s ability to walk, talk, eat, swallow and eventually breathe. Through federal and provincial (Ontario) advocacy, we give voice to the collective experience of people living with ALS to help drive program and system changes for the ALS community. As a member of the International Alliance of ALS/MND organizations, an international community for individual ALS/MND organizations from around the world, we actively contribute to the collaborative global effort to fight ALS/MND.
Our world is challenging. The people we serve are dealing with a devastating illness. But in the midst of it, their resiliency and spirit is remarkable and moving. You will be touched by the community and will find a way to naturally and effectively engage.
Content planning and development:
- Provide input to and execute the social media strategy, including regular updates to the content calendar, incorporating relevant trends and best practices
- Engage with and interview people who are part of the ALS community (e.g. people living with ALS, caregivers, researchers, donors, volunteers, etc.). and write content for the organization’s blog, social media channels, and other channels with a strong focus on storytelling
- Develop and maintain content on ALS Canada’s website using a content management system (WordPress) , ensuring that content is accurate, up‐to‐date, and of high editorial quality
- Create, manage and execute process of distributing quarterly e-newsletters; email campaigns; and other communication as needed
- Support digital campaign development; development and execution of marketing plans, liaising with vendors, and other duties as required
- Produce compelling copy/materials for various channels in numerous formats
- Edit and proofread copy with an eagle eye for detail
- Use photo and desktopping software (Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator) to edit/produce compelling visual content for use on social media and marketing purposes
Social media engagement:
- Actively engage followers and ALS community on all social platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn and respond to comments, questions, direct messages, during and outside of office hours. Due to the nature of monitoring social media accounts outside of business hours, there is the opportunity for flexibility with work schedule.
- Identify and execute opportunities to enrich organic and paid digital content and increase community engagement on social media to drive website traffic
- Track, analyze and report on website traffic, campaign performance and social media metrics using a variety of analytics tools, including but not limited to Google Analytics, Google Dashboard, and platform-specific tools
Event-related marketing support:
- Provide marketing support for signature, community and other events including but not limited to the Walk to End ALS, the Plane Pull to End ALS, the Hike for ALS, and the ALS Canada Research Forum
- Working with key internal stakeholders, provide input to and execute the marketing and communications plan for events with a focus on digital platforms including social media, website, and e-communications\
- Develop marketing assets in support of event campaigns including email, social media, website, print, out-of-home, and others
- Liaise with internal stakeholders to identify and support local event needs including fulfilling branded collateral requests (customizing/modifying existing creative concepts), etc.
- Participate in and support annual Walk Training event by preparing and delivering presentations, updating Marketing and Communications Toolkit, and other duties as assigned
- Comply with/monitor use of brand and style guidelines to ensure ALS Canada is positioned in a clear and consistent way in all internal and external communications; serve as internal resource for brand-related queries
- Participate in the development of the organization’s marketing and communications plan and identification and reporting of key performance indicators (KPIs) as they apply to the responsibilities of this position
- Provide input and recommendations into marketing and communications guidelines and procedures.
- Serve as an ambassador for the organization with the ALS community occasionally working evenings or weekends for event-related support
- Support development of ad-hoc marketing and communications materials internally and with external vendors
- Produce key metrics reports to assist in evaluating performance and provide recommendations to continuously improve campaigns
- Coordinate videography and photography for projects, as required, including attending photoshoots and video shoots, to ensure content from shot lists is captured
- Provide ad hoc support for department and organizational needs
- Support advocacy initiatives as needed
- Other duties as required
Experience and Qualifications:
- University degree or equivalent in a related subject area (e.g. journalism, marketing, communications, public relations, digital media, etc.)
- 2 years of relevant working experience with clear demonstration of results. Experience working at a charitable organization is preferred
- Experience with content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Hootsuite), editing software (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite), blogs, analytics and social listening platforms, search marketing and optimization, web design process and best practices
- Familiarity applying Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) standards to website and design
- Bilingualism (English and French) is highly desired, along with a familiarity around the needs of an organization that communicates in both official languages
Competencies and Skills:
- Genuine passion for digital media including web, mobile and social media
- Understanding of the connection between marketing/communications and fundraising
- Discretion, compassion and emotional strength
- Collaborator who identifies opportunities for the organization and brings new ideas/concepts forward
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with ability to handle multiple priorities concurrently
- Strong attention to detail and creative problem-solving skills
- Demonstrates leadership and initiative within role
- Proactive, solution and service-oriented approach
- High degree of judgement, political sensitivity, and diplomacy
- Positive and results-oriented, with the interpersonal skills and integrity that inspire trust
- Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team
- Ability to rapidly adapt to changing environments
- Excellent storytelling abilities with high degree of sensitivity and empathy
Please send your cover letter, resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with Coordinator, Integrated Marketing in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected as a potential candidate will be contacted.