This is a volunteer opportunity with the Alzheimer Society of Toronto for the Minds in Motion® program.
Minds in Motion® is a community-based social program that incorporates physical and mental stimulation for people with early to mid-stage signs of Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias and their care partners.
- Minds in Motion® is an eight-week program delivered once weekly that combines physical activity with mental stimulation, in a social environment.
- The program was developed in British Columbia and results indicate improved physical and mental health for both people with dementia and their care partner.
- Help with the set up and clean up of refreshments, games and activities for the program
- Assist the Minds in Motion® Coordinator to ensure activity participation and socialization. This may include spending one-on-one time with participants who need extra support.
- Under the direction of the Physical Activity Program Leader, provide one-on-one support to participants during the physical activity component of the program
- Assist with participant evaluations that will be taking place before and after the sessions to ensure we are providing a person-centred program with activities they enjoy and benefit from
- Enjoy working with others, comfortable initiating conversation and including others
- Patient, friendly and fun; comfortable in a non-competitive, inclusive environment
- Have some experience communicating with older adults
- Be physically able to participate in the physical activity component of the program
- Aware of the aging process
- Have basic knowledge and experience with dementia – training will be provided
- Experience working with persons with dementia and their care partners
- Special skills (music, drama, art, facilitating, etc.) welcomed
- Weekly starting Monday, September 9, 2019 - Monday, November 10, 2019
- Skipping Thanksgiving on Monday, October 14.
- Program is from 10:00am-11:30am
- 2 hours/week for eight weeks:
- 15 minute set up, 1.5 hour program, 15 minute take down, clean up and debrief.
- Central Eglinton Community Centre (2nd floor), 160 Eglinton Ave E, Toronto, ON M4P 3B5
- Orientation to the Alzheimer Society of Toronto by the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Training to the position will be provided by the Community Programs Coordinator.
- Understanding Dementia and Supportive Communication.
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act training.
A Police Records Check/Vulnerable Sector Screening may be required for all volunteers.
For those under the age of 18, parental or guardian approval is required.
There will be on site supervision and debriefing lead by the Minds in Motion® Coordinator.
- Training and education received will be of personal value for brain health! Training and experience will be of benefit when applying for professional or volunteer positions in the future
- Be an integral part of a team working toward a better quality of life for persons with dementia and their care partners
- Be a leader within a larger cause, meeting the growing need for support and services for persons with dementia and their care partners
- Gain front line experience working with persons with dementia
- Be a part of an evaluation process by assisting with the delivery and collection of content which will inform a provincial evaluation of Minds in Motion implementation
- Free refreshments during program
- Certificate of participation awarded at the end of the program.