The MS Walk Committee are responsible for successfully planning and leading the MS Walk event in their community. Being part of the Committee is ideal for people looking to get more involved with the MS Society and who wish to enhance or share their existing skills and experience.
Contributing your time and talents to the MS Walk committee is a meaningful opportunity to give back to your community and those affected by MS, all while meeting great people and having fun. MS Walks are our largest fundraising events across Canada and are only possible with the support of our AMAZING volunteers.
The Food Coordinator ensures that all our participants enjoy snacks and refreshments after completing the MS Walk! Food brings people together which makes this a very rewarding volunteer role.
Our MS Walk will take place on Sunday May 24th, 2020 at Rocky Point Park.
What would I be responsible for?:
- Soliciting and picking up food donations for the food tent and rest stops as required
- Reviewing food tent and rest stop equipment requirements with the Site and Route Coordinators
- Setting up food service area on event day and provide direction to food tent event volunteers
- Cleaning-up and taking down the food tent at the end of the event
All committee members share in the responsibility of:
- Championing the Walk in their community by promoting the event within their personal and professional networks and recruiting participants and event day volunteers
- Helping to source sponsorship (cash and in-kind donations) and prizing
What skills and experience do I need?:
- Positive attitude and friendly demeanour
- Experience of managing people is valued but not essential
- Strong leadership, communication, organizational and customer service skills
- Food Safe Certificate
- Basic computer proficiency including email, internet searches, Word, Excel
- Self-motivated and reliable; able to fulfill duties on time
- Passion for funding MS research and supporting the MS Community
How will the MS Society support me?:
- Committee Handbook
- Personal support from your Volunteer Engagement Coordinator and Walk Coordinator
- Role specific training
- Access to our Committee Resource Centre with tools, resources and information on all aspects of the event
- Volunteer collateral such as t-shirts, and a reference letter
- The MS Society Walk Team will provide support to the event in a variety of ways including participant services, marketing, PR, fundraising incentives.
How much time will I need to volunteer?:
- Attend 1.5hr monthly committee meetings prior to the event from December through June
- Onsite for the event weekend, providing leadership to event day volunteers and overseeing specific area of work
- Meetings and work related to your role encompasses approximately 5-10 hours/month depending on role and size of event. Hours will increase as the event approaches.
- Coordinator will receive direction from, and liaise with, the Chair. Coordinator will interact extensively with other organizing committee members, staff liaison, event day volunteers, participants and members of the community
- Must be comfortable making decisions and problem solving with limited supervision.
What are the benefits of volunteering?
- Meet new people in your community
- Support our work with research and services
- Develop your skills and experience (and learn new ones)
- Have fun!
- Opportunity to work with a dedicated team of leadership volunteers, together creating a meaningful successful event
To apply, please contact Joel Cheung - Joel.Cheung@mssociety.ca or phone 604-689-3144 x.7257