The MS Walk Committee are responsible for successfully planning and leading the MS Walk event in their community. Being part of the Committee is ideal for people looking to get more involved with the MS Society and who wish to enhance or share their existing skills and experience.
Contributing your time and talents to the MS Walk committee is a meaningful opportunity to give back to your community and those affected by MS, all while meeting great people and having fun. MS Walks are our largest fundraising events across Canada and are only possible with the support of our AMAZING volunteers.
As Volunteer Coordinator you’ll work closely with the Team at the MS Society to ensure we have support from a fantastic team of Day of Event Volunteers. Our TriCities Walk will be held at Rocky Point Park on Sunday May 24th, 2020.
What would I be responsible for?
- Recruiting Event Day volunteers, ensuring there are enough volunteers to fulfill all event volunteer requirements
- Scheduling volunteers into various volunteer positions.
- Clearly communicating their roles, responsibilities, start/end times before event weekend
- Ensuring that all volunteers are checked in on day of event and directed to their Area Coordinator for instruction and support
- Monitor volunteer’s activities and positions during Walk weekend and reposition volunteers as needed to provide best coverage
- Ensuring volunteers are acknowledged on the day and post-event
All committee members share in the responsibility of:
- Championing the Walk in their community by promoting the event within their personal and professional networks and recruiting participants and event day volunteers
- Helping to source sponsorship (cash and in-kind donations) and prizing
What skills and experience are needed?
- Positive attitude and friendly demeanour
- Experience managing people is valued but not essential
- Strong leadership, communication, organizational and customer service skills
- Basic computer proficiency including email, internet searches, Word, Excel
- Self-motivated and reliable; able to fulfill duties on time
- Passion for funding MS research and supporting the MS Community
What are the benefits of volunteering?
- Meet new people in your community
- Support our work with research and services
- Develop your skills and experience (and learn new ones)
- Have fun!
How will the MS Society support me?
- Committee Handbook
- Personal support from your Volunteer Engagement Coordinator and Walk Coordinator
- Role specific training
- Access to our Committee Resource Centre with tools, resources and information on all aspects of the event
- Volunteer collateral such as t-shirts, and a reference letter
- The MS Society Walk Team will provide support to the event in a variety of ways including participant services, marketing, PR, fundraising incentives.
How much time will I need to volunteer?
- Attend 1.5-hour monthly committee meetings prior to the event from December through June
- Onsite for the event weekend, providing leadership to event day volunteers and oversight for specific area of work
- Meetings and work related to your role encompasses approximately 5-10 hours/month depending on role and size of event. Hours will increase as the event approaches
- Coordinator will receive direction from, and liaise with, the Chair. Coordinator will interact extensively with other organizing committee members, staff liaison, event day volunteers, participants and members of the community
- Must be comfortable making decisions and problem solving with limited supervision.
To apply, please contact Joel Cheung - Joel.Cheung@mssociety.ca or phone 604-689-3144 x.7257