|Organization Name||Position Types||Duration||Great For||Region and Location(s)||Ad Online Since||Application Deadline|
|Breakthroughs Film Festival||On-going (More than 1 year)||2019-08-08||2019-10-01|
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRI 23 AUG, 11:59PM
Breakthroughs Film Festival is the only festival in Canada devoted exclusively to short films made by women and non-binary directors. We showcase films from any and every genre made by emerging filmmakers of all ages and from all over the world. We also offer an annual post-production grant program, supported by our fundraising efforts. June 2020 will be our 9th year! The festival is run by 1 staff and (currently) 9 board members and mainly funded through government grants.
We are now in an exciting period of growth driven by our current operational board of 9 hardworking volunteers. Breakthroughs is a collaborative and inclusive space and we aim to work respectfully with each other and encourage a diversity of ideas and perspectives. We invite you to consider joining the team as a board member to help shape the future of a growing and unique organization.
We are looking to fill new board member positions, which will be voted at our next meeting in September. Selected candidates will be notified close to the end of September and will be expected to attend the October board meeting (date tbd).
Please see our website to find out more about who we are and what we do: breakthroughsfilmfestival.com
The Role of Each Board Member Is To
• Attend monthly board meetings, occasional teleconferences as required, and all BFF events to collaboratively plan, implement and manage all aspects of the festival, postproduction grant program, and any other BFF program or event as needed.
• View and evaluate submissions to the festival and participate in programming discussions.
• Ensure the long-term financial and operational strength and stability of the organization by developing and maintaining sources of revenue, as well as attracting and retaining productive, committed board members.
• Join committees as they form and change over the course of the year and actively contribute to committee tasks and reporting.
• Promote BFF’s programs, events and mission year-round within your personal networks of contacts and via social media
• Assist in developing and executing a long-range strategic plan for the organization’s growth
• Build strategic partnerships within the community, non-profit sector, key industry sectors, governments, unions, foundations, private businesses and educational institutions.
• Offer clear, consistent feedback on internal and external operations to improve the workings of the organization and the implementation of our events.
• Education in/experience with film studies or film production, or demonstrated interest in and knowledge of film.
• Passion for BFF’s mission and vision.
• Strong interpersonal, relationship building, and conflict resolution skills.
• Understanding of intersectionality and commitment to working within an antioppression/anti-racism framework.
• Ability to determine priorities, be self-directed and work with minimal supervision.
• Strong team-oriented skills.
The Following Are Considered an Asset
• Demonstrated experience with nonprofit management.
• Knowledge of effective fundraising and sponsorship strategies for nonprofits.
• Experience with grant writing in Canada.
• Advanced knowledge of accounting and budgeting.
• Demonstrated experience with marketing, ideally with a film festival or other community arts organization.
• Demonstrated strong organizational, planning, and project-management skills.
Please note that this is a volunteer position requiring a time commitment of 3-5 hours of work per week on average throughout the year, with the weekly time commitment increasing in the spring in preparation for the festival.
Outside of our 2-hour monthly board meeting and attendance/support at our events, the work may be performed at a time and location of the board member's choosing.
Joining the Breakthroughs team is a fantastic opportunity to gain experience with the operational side of a growing film festival, and build your resume for future employment opportunities in the film industry, nonprofit sector, and grassroots festival management.
How To Apply
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume outlining how their skills and experience meet the desired qualifications and may help enrich the organization and the board. Applications may be submitted via email in PDF format to info[at]breakthroughsfilmfestival.com by August 23rd, 11:59pm with the subject heading 'BFF Board Member 2019'.
If the application process is a barrier, please reach out to us at info[at]breakthroughsfilmfestival.com to arrange for an alternate process of evaluation by or before Wed Aug 21st.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be scheduled in downtown Toronto during weekday evenings from August 26th - August 30th.
All applications are considered confidential.
Breakthroughs Film Festival is committed to developing a diverse leadership and encourages transgender, gender diverse, gender non-conforming, 2SLGBTQQIPAA+, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) and differently-abled people to submit applications.
If you would like more information about the position and/or the organization, please feel free to contact us at info[at]breakthroughsfilmfestival.com by or before Wed Aug 21st.