BOARD DIRECTOR – Accounting Background
Toronto North Support Services is a community-based, multi-service agency providing mental health and homeless programs to adults in Toronto. Our work is client-centred. We believe in the inherent ability of those experiencing mental health challenges or homelessness to make positive changes in their lives.
We offer a variety of programs aimed at those experiencing mental illness and/or homelessness and invite you to visit our website – www.tnss.ca
The Board of Directors supports the work of TNSS and provides mission based leadership and strategic governance. While day to day operations are led by the Executive Director, the Board-ED relationship is a partnership and the appropriate involvement and commitment of each Board member is both critical and expected.
Term of Office
- Elected to a 2 year term, renewable up to 4 terms
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attend and actively participate in all or a minimum of 75 percent of Board meetings (average of 7-8 per year, typically the fourth Wednesday of the month, 6:00pm – 8:00pm, at our Yonge & Bloor location)
- Participate as a member of the Audit-Finance Committee (3-4 meetings a year)
- Participate in the development of long-term plans for the organization
- Contribute to discussion and decision making activities, respecting the roles of the Board and governance policies.
- Approve policy and other recommendations received from the board, its standing committees and senior staff.
- Monitor all board policies and bylaws
- Approve annual budget and monthly financial statements.
- Participate in the hiring and annual performance review of the Executive Director.
- Assist in developing and maintaining positive relations among the board, committees, staff members, and community to enhance the work and mission of TNSS.
- Participate in committee activities and/or special projects as appropriate.
- Support special events of TNSS
- Endorse and function as an Ambassador for the agency, reflecting its’ Values and Beliefs and Code of Ethics
- Possess an interest in the provision of mental health and homeless services
- Possess accounting and financial management experience and ideally possess professional accounting designation
- Ideally be representative of the diverse population which the agency serves
- Be prepared to share professional expertise and advice to assist in Board and management decisions in areas of Accounting/Finance, Strategic Planning, Governance/Risk Management, Legal, Social Services, Human Resources
- Willingness to offer 2 hours per month for Board meetings and an additional 8 hours per year to participate on the Audit Finance Committee ( 3 to 4 meetings per year)
- Willingness to, from time to time, participate on a time limited ad-hoc committee of the Board, e.g. Strategic Planning
- Willingness to serve on the Board for a minimum of a two-year term
- Previous experience as a member of committees and/or boards – at least 1 year is desirable
Please forward your resume and cover letter to Arif Nizami at HR@tnss.ca.
Toronto North Support Services is a workplace that is characterised by respect, choice and inclusion. We strive to foster a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community we serve and welcome applications from all qualified applicants. We encourage applications from those who are consumers of mental health services.
We thank all those who apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you require accommodation in the interview process please communicate that if contacted.