The MS Walk Committee Chair will provide leadership and direction to the Volunteer Walk Committee in event planning efforts, to ensure a successful MS Walk in Vancouver on Sunday May 24th, 2020.
Contributing your time and talents to the MS Walk committee is a meaningful opportunity to give back to your community and those affected by MS. MS Walks are our largest fundraising event across Canada. Volunteering as Committee Chair for the MS Walk means gaining valuable experience by leading and organizing a wellrecognized signature event while working with experienced staff and comprehensive resources. The Chair will receive support from a Co-Chair and will work with a committee of 6-12 members, depending on the size of the community
Our walks are important to our participants and you have the chance to be a part of making sure their MS Walk is extra special.
What would I be responsible for?
- Leading the MS Walk Committee
- Providing support and leadership to committee members and fill gaps as needed to ensure a successful MS Walk.
- Delegating duties and ensuring assigned projects are completed successfully.
- Lead organizing committee meetings.
- Acting as the point person for the assigned community walk; liaise with the
- Networking and recruiting committee members with the support of the MS
Society to fill vacancies.
What skills and experience do I need?
- Strong leadership abilities and experience. Must be comfortable making
decisions with limited supervision.
- We encourage applications from individuals with 1-3 years of previous experience in fundraising and/or event coordination.
- Strong organization, problem solving and communication skills).
- Knowledge of MS and the ability to positively represent the MS Society.
- Positive attitude and friendly demeanour
- Experience of managing people is valued but not essential
- Basic computer proficiency including email, internet searches, Word, Excel
- Self-motivated and reliable; able to fulfill duties on time
- Passion for funding MS research and supporting the MS Community
How will the MS Society support me?
- Committee Handbook
- Providing comprehensive Committee Chair training through a full day training session and monthly support calls.
- Offering training sessions for all committee members.
- Personal support from your Volunteer Engagement Coordinator and Walk Coordinator
- Role specific training
- Access to our Committee Resource Centre with tools, resources and information on all aspects of the event
- Volunteer collateral such as t-shirts, and a reference letter
- The MS Society Walk Team will provide support to the event in a variety of ways including participant services, marketing, PR, fundraising incentives
How much time will I need to volunteer?
- Long term (November – May). Hours will vary based on the size of your community event, engagement level of committee members and other factors. Hours will increase as the event approaches. We estimate this role will take between 10 - 20 hours per month.
- Attend a mandatory training/orientation in November as well as monthly support calls leading up to the event.
- Lead monthly committee meetings; timing of meetings to be determined by you.
- Direct the weekend of event duties.
What are the benefits of volunteering?
- Meet new people in your community
- Support our work with research and services
- Develop your skills and experience (and learn new ones)
- Have fun!
- Opportunity to work with a dedicated team of leadership volunteers, together creating a meaningful successful event
To apply, please contact Joel Cheung - Joel.Cheung@mssociety.ca or call 604-689-3144 x.7257