St. Joseph's Health Centre (SJHC) is a dynamic community teaching hospital that is committed to providing outstanding patient care to the diverse communities of southwest Toronto. Honouring the legacy of the Sisters of St. Joseph, staff and volunteers work collaboratively in the tradition of care that reflects the universal values of respect, dignity, and compassion.SJHC is a member of the Unity Health Toronto hospital network, comprised of Providence Healthcare, St. Joseph’s Health Centre and St. Michael’s Hospital, working to provide the best care experiences, created together.
St. Joe’s is committed to providing patients with the highest quality of patient, family and community-focused healthcare services when they need it most.
SJHC needs volunteer assistance with our Surgical Family Waiting Room (SFWR) to provide information and support to relatives and friends waiting through surgical procedures. Volunteers act as a liaison between surgeons, nurses, Spiritual and Religious Care, and the waiting family members.
With this volunteer support SJHC is able to enhance the care experience of patients and visitors by providing exceptional customer service.
In your Surgical Family Waiting Room volunteer role you will have the opportunity to:
· Greet and assist patients who have scheduled Pre-Admission/Day of Surgery appointments
· Greet visitors warmly as they arrive at the Family Waiting Room. Identify relatives and then keep them informed of procedural times. Inform patients if they are next in the queue. Inform staff if there are patients in the waiting area and facilitate their being attended to in a timely fashion.
· Provide the very best support for family/visitors who may be anxious about their relative/friend. You have the opportunity to make them feel less tense and enhance their experience at St. Joe’s.
We are looking for applicants who possess the following qualifications:
·Passionate and committed to making a difference by enhancing the patient care experience
·Exemplify the values of SJHC which include respect, dignity and compassion
·Strong interpersonal and communication skills
·Flexible, with the ability to adapt to change and shifting priorities
·Ability to handle confidential matters with tact and dignity while dealing with various situations
·Ability to work well independently as well as in a team environment
·Comfortable walking and being on your feet for 2 - 3 hours at a time.
Length of commitment: Minimum one year commitment is preferred, one shift per week
Available Shifts: Monday or Thursday mornings 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- 16 years old or older
- One year commitment of volunteering once a week
- Consent to and complete a criminal reference check if 18 years of age and older (no cost to the volunteer)
- Complete a two-step tuberculosis test
- Provide two references as part of your volunteer application
- Attend a mandatory orientation session
PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION APPLY NOW