Coaches will be responsible for delivering the program, supported and empowered by the head coaches. This will include:
- proactively engaging the kids,
- demonstrating and running drills,
- managing behaviour throughout the session,
- supporting the head coaches implement the life skills component (~15-20 minutes per session), and
- managing the scrimmages while the head coaches circulate.
The aim of the program is to learn new soccer skills, while instilling confidence and discipline in the kids to achieve their goals. Our sessions will include the following: welcome, warm-up, stretching, soccer drills, educational life skills component, scrimmage, and wrap up at the end.
- Arrive on time at the session at 6:00 pm sharp on Friday. Help the head coach set up the session, pass the ball around and engage with the kids. Be punctual and be ready to get engaged!
- Identify the skills, talents, needs, and interests of the players. This program will be very dependent on coaches building strong relationships with the kids.
- Communicate with volunteer coordinator, head coaches, and program coordinator via Slack* to confirm details prior to sessions and debrief after sessions (~1 hr per week).
*It’s OK if you are new to Slack or have never used it before! We will onboard you to this tool and make sure you are comfortable with it before the program begins!
We are looking for confident and engaging coaches who will motivate and inspire kids through their tact, skill, patience, and engagement strategies. We are looking for leaders who will adapt their facilitation and coaching styles depending on their individual players. We are looking for both introverts and extroverts - the main point is that you can connect with kids effectively.
We aim to build strong relationships with participants and their parents/guardians, and we strive to have a positive impact on the communities we serve. Coaches are the role models for our participants and we expect coaches to lead by example, and to follow our internal guidelines (https://nutmegsoccer.org/coaches_handbook/).
- 1+ years of experience working with children and youth (please specify which age ranges you have worked with)
- 1+ years of experience coaching soccer
- You believe that sports/athletic training is a powerful tool to teach children and youth values and life lessons that translate into other areas of life, including personal development
- You are a soccer player (or played soccer at some point!) and you have a passion for the game
BONUS POINTS IF...
- You see yourself as a lifelong teacher, coach, and/or mentor and feel you have a calling to positively impact youth
- You have a deep understanding of how positive role models can impact lives
- You see coaching as part of your career development
- You have First Aid training
- You are intuitive, responsive, and have experience adapting programming for different ages and skill levels
- We expect a minimum commitment of three months
- You must be willing to commit to 2 sessions per month
- Coaches are expected to arrive at 6 PM and leave at 8 PM (after all equipment is put back and after debriefing with the head coaches).
- Communicate via Slack (~0.5 hr scattered per week).
- All coaches are required to undergo a Vulnerable Person Police Record Check. This is mandatory and non-negotiable.
BENEFITS & TRAINING
- Excellent opportunity to gain leadership experience in a very dynamic role and grow within our organization.
- NUTMEG will do its best to facilitate internal training and, budget permitting will cover costs of external training for new coaches, like NCCP and First aid.
- You will also have the chance to interact with our partners, guest speakers, and Board of Directors.
- Joining the NUTMEG team!! We are a volunteer run organization of 30+ strong. We are a diverse group that hails from many parts of the world who all share a love of soccer. Come meet new friends and potential new teammates!
How to Apply / Contact
To apply please download our application form from the following link and include a cover letter telling us why you would like to volunteer with NUTMEG and how doing so would contribute towards your personal goals.
Send your application and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest. We apologize that only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.