The MS Walk Committee are responsible for successfully planning and leading the MS Walk event in their community. Being part of the Committee is ideal for people looking to get more involved with the MS Society and who wish to enhance or share their existing skills and experience.
Contributing your time and talents to the MS Walk committee is a meaningful opportunity to give back to your community and those affected by MS, all while meeting great people and having fun. MS Walks are our largest fundraising events across Canada and are only possible with the support of our AMAZING volunteers.
Our participants always give great feedback about their experience on the day of thewalk, you can help to make that experience the best it can be. Whether this means finding a local face painter or even an Elvis impersonator to entertain the crowds before they head off on to the route, we know you will make this event an amazing experience for our participants!
Our MS Walk will take place on Sunday May 24th, 2020 at Rocky Point Park.
What would I be responsible for?
- Securing entertainment for event day, including stage area, start/finish line
and children's tent. Oversee these areas on the event day and provide
direction to event day volunteers and entertainers (as applicable)
- Working with the committee to create an event day experience that creates a community atmosphere and connection to our cause
- Help secure event MC and guest speaker
All committee members share in the responsibility of:
- Championing the Walk in your community by promoting the event within your personal and professional networks and recruiting participants and event day volunteers
- Helping to source sponsorship (cash and in-kind donations) and prizes
What skills and experience do I need?
- Positive attitude and friendly demeanour
- Excellent phone manner
- Experience of managing people is valued but not essential
- Strong leadership, communication, organizational and customer service skills
- Basic computer proficiency including email, internet searches, Word, Excel
- Self-motivated and reliable; able to fulfill duties on time
- Passion for funding MS research and supporting the MS Community
How will the MS Society support me?
- Committee Handbook
- Personal support from your Volunteer Engagement Coordinator and Walk Coordinator
- Role specific training
- Access to our Committee Resource Centre with tools, resources and information on all aspects of the event
- Volunteer collateral such as t-shirts, and a reference letter
- The MS Society Walk Team will provide support to the event in a variety of ways including participant services, marketing, PR, fundraising incentives.
How much time will I need to volunteer?
- Attend 1.5hr monthly committee meetings prior to the event from December through June
- Onsite for the event weekend, providing leadership to event day volunteers and overseeing specific area of work
- Meetings and work related to your role encompasses approximately 5-10 hours/month depending on role and size of event. Hours will increase as the event approaches.
- Coordinator will receive direction from, and liaise with, the Chair. Coordinator will interact extensively with other organizing committee members, staff liaison, event day volunteers, participants and members of the community
- Must be comfortable making decisions and problem solving with limited supervision.
What are the benefits of volunteering?
- Meet new people in your community
- Support our work with research and services
- Develop your skills and experience (and learn new ones)
- Have fun!
- Opportunity to work with a dedicated team of leadership volunteers, together creating a meaningful successful event
To apply, please contact Joel Cheung - Joel.Cheung@mssociety.ca or phone 604-689-3144 x.7257