St. Joseph's Health Centre (SJHC) is a dynamic community teaching hospital that is committed to providing outstanding patient care to the diverse communities of southwest Toronto. Honouring the legacy of the Sisters of St. Joseph, staff and volunteers work collaboratively in the tradition of care that reflects the universal values of respect, dignity, and compassion. SJHC is a member of the Unity Health Toronto hospital network, comprised of Providence Healthcare, St. Joseph’s Health Centre and St. Michael’s Hospital, working to advance the health of everyone in our urban communities and beyond.
St. Joseph’s Health Centre’s Regional Renal Program offers a comprehensive range of services at our Islington location for patients at risk of kidney failure or who are in the later stages of kidney disease. Our interprofessional team works with patients and their families with the goal of managing their health. Approximately 900 people with kidney disease are treated in St. Joe's Regional Dialysis Program.
SJHC needs volunteer assistance in our Community Renal Dialysis Centre located at 1020 Islington Ave., to assist with non-medical, supportive needs that build on the care provided by staff. With volunteer support SJHC is able to enhance the care experience of patients and visitors by providing exceptional customer service.
In your Community Renal Centre volunteer role you will have the opportunity to:
· Greet and assist patients who have scheduled dialysis, making them comfortable by providing items such as blankets, water or ice chips.
· Visit with patients during their dialysis treatment providing chairside activities such as reading, puzzles, playing cards etc.
· Assist the staff by keeping them informed of relevant concerns and communicating helpful information on their behalf.
· Escort patients, especially those at risk of falls, to various areas within the renal centre.
We are looking for applicants who possess the following qualifications:
·Passionate and committed to making a difference by enhancing the patient care experience
·Exemplify the values of SJHC which include respect, dignity and compassion
·Strong interpersonal and communication skills; enjoy visiting with people.
·Flexible, with the ability to adapt to change and shifting priorities
·Ability to handle confidential matters with tact and dignity while dealing with various situations
·Ability to work well independently as well as in a team environment
·Comfortable walking and being on your feet for 4 hours at a time. Able to push a patient in a wheelchair.
Length of commitment: One shift per week. Minimum one year commitment is preferred.
Available Shifts Monday through Friday: mornings 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. or afternoons 2:00 – 6:00 p.m. or 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- 16 years old or older
- One year commitment of volunteering once a week
- Consent to and complete a criminal reference check if 18 years of age and older (no cost to the volunteer)
- Complete a two-step tuberculosis test
- Provide two references as part of your volunteer application
- Attend a mandatory orientation session
PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION APPLY NOW