|Organization Name||Position Types||Duration||Great For||Region and Location(s)||Ad Online Since||Application Deadline|
|West Neighbourhood House (formerly St. Christopher House)||Short term (Less than 6 months)||2020-01-13||2020-02-29|
The Financial Empowerment and Problem Solving Program (FEPS) at West Neighbourhood House assists low-income people with income tax return preparation throughout the year and holds free Income Tax Clinics during the tax season. Program participants include newcomers, homeless individuals, youth, seniors and families who reside in our catchment area. FEPS also provides education and public awareness to community members regarding the benefits of completing and filing returns. Volunteers who speak other languages will be an asset in assisting individuals and families in completing income tax returns.
Volunteer Duties & Responsibilities:
* Complete personal income tax returns for low income individuals
* Assist the staff in educating public about the benefits of doing income tax returns every year
* Ability to work independently within a team environment
* Maintain privacy and confidentiality
* Must be punctual and reliable
* Participation in volunteer job related training workshops and meetings
* Be welcoming, friendly and open-minded
Previous experience in filing your own (personal) income tax or taxes for others is preferred, but not mandatory
* Confident in using the computer
* Familiarity with UFile tax software is an asset
* Good communication skills
* An understanding of the challenges experienced by low-income individuals
* Friendly, reliable, responsible, non-judgmental and non-discriminating
* Adaptable and has a willingness to learn
* Second language is a asset, especially: Hungarian, Arabic, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Urdu, Mandarin, Tibetan, Tamil, Vietnamese, and Spanish
Orientation, Training and Benefits:
* West NH staff and Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will provide orientation and training before volunteers are placed in the tax clinic
* Clinic Orientation training will take place on Saturday, February 8th, 2020 from 10:00am to 12:30pm. Income tax software training sessions will be held during weekday and evening hours during the last two weeks in February.
* The opportunity to get involved in the community a provide a much needed service to those experiencing socioeconomic hardship and/or social isolation.
Program Time and Location:
* Training will be held in February and Income Tax Clinics will operate from March 2 to April 30, 2020. An extended clinic may be offered in May if demand necessitates.
* Income Tax Clinics will be scheduled at different locations in the catchment area of West NH, including partner agencies in downtown west Toronto.
* Orientation and Software training sessions in February
* 4-5 hours per week (minimum) from March 1 to April 30, 2020
Weekdays between the hours of 10am and 3pm. Evenings from 3pm and 8pm or 4pm and 8pm (depending on volunteer site) or Saturdays from 10am to 3pm.
Contact Information: *Recruitment starting January 6th, 2020!*
Please contact the Volunteer Program: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
416-532-4828 ext. 105