|Organization Name||Position Types||Duration||Great For||Region and Location(s)||Ad Online Since||Application Deadline|
|Hospice Care Ottawa||On-going (More than 1 year)||2019-05-15||2019-06-07|
Hospice Care Ottawa: Seeking New Board Members
Hospice Care Ottawa is seeking expressions of interest from the community to fill vacancies on its Board of Directors.
Hospice Care Ottawa is a community-based charitable organization whose mission is to accompany and support individuals, and their families, through their end of life journey by providing compassionate, high quality care. Hospice Care Ottawa (HCO) was formed in January 2013 by the amalgamation of The Hospice at May Court and Friends of Hospice Ottawa.
Hospice Care Ottawa programs include day hospice, home support, family support, and residence hospice care. Hospice Care Ottawa delivers these services at three sites across the City of Ottawa: May Court Hospice, La Maison de l’Est, and Ruddy-Shenkman Hospice. We rely on and value the contribution of over 1000 volunteers who contribute to every aspect of our programs.
Serving on our Board would enable you to be part of providing and expanding access to these much-needed services for the people of Ottawa.
Skills and Personal Characteristics
Here are the skills and characteristics we are looking for in prospective Board members:
1. Have an appreciation for and commitment to the mission of the organization.
2. Be free to fulfill the preparation, attendance and other time-related requirements. Commitment is approximately 6-10 hours per month and includes Board and committee meetings bimonthly.
3. Participate on committees of the Board.
4. Possess a strategic outlook with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
5. Be informed of the funding, operational and other organizational contexts.
6. Provide objective and independent counsel to the Board and its directors.
7. Possess a broad perspective on organizational issues.
8. Be able to present opinions, probe for information, resolve conflict and support Board decisions.
In addition to the above, a review of the skills and background mix of our current Board members indicates that we need an additional Board member with skills in the following areas:
- Fundraising and Fund Development
- Cultural Diversity
Bilingualism and previous governance experience with not-for-profit, charitable and health care organizations would be an asset.
All Hospice Care Ottawa programs are provided at no charge to patients and families. As a result, we rely heavily on fundraising. It would be helpful if prospective Board members are well connected in the community and could provide access to community members able to
respond to our fundraising needs.
If you are interested in joining our Board, please send a brief letter outlining your interest and qualifications by Friday, June 7, 2019 at 1 pm
Attention: Stephen Whitehead, Chair of the Board of Directors, Hospice Care Ottawa