Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only organization of our kind in Canada, and our volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse.
About The Mover Volunteer Role:
Access to moving and storage services are a significant barrier to fleeing abuse. Movers use their time and energy to help our clients overcome these barriers. They are the ‘helping hands’ and ’boots on the ground’ that support our clients at a critical moment.
Shelter Movers’ volunteer move teams are a grassroots response to Violence Against Women in our communities. Join us!
- Meet the volunteer team (including other Movers) at an arranged time and place
- Move the client’s belongings in and out of vehicles
- Transport belongings to a predetermined location
- Maintain communication with Lead Mover and other Movers
- Respect client confidentiality
- Uphold Shelter Movers’ protocols and procedures
- Be aware of trauma-informed care when interacting with clients (training will be provided)
- Work with private security and law enforcement (led by Lead Mover) when necessary
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 20lbs.
- Children may accompany clients on a move, but volunteers do not provide child care and have limited interaction with children. Child care and supervision is provided by clients or our agency partners.
We offer flexible scheduling. Movers can join us on moves in two ways:
- By signing up for one move at a time, as their schedules permit, and/or:
- By committing to a regular weekly or monthly schedule
Most moves average around 4 hours, depending on distance and complexity. A minimum of 2 moves a month is encouraged.
Essential Skills & Knowledge:
- No previous experience or education is required
- Access to e-mail and phone
- Able to lift a minimum of 20lbs
- Able to lift moderately heavy boxes/furniture with a team of other movers
- A driver's licence and ability to drive rental vehicles are strong assets
- Reliable work habits
- Maturity and good judgement
- Ability to remain calm in potentially stressful situations
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changes
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Fluency in a second language is an asset
- Movers are expected to maintain confidentiality and provide trauma-informed care to clients (training is provided), and have regular check-ins with staff to support continuous improvement.
As a Mover at Shelter Movers:
- You’ll gain hands-on experience on the front lines of our organization, providing moving and storage services for our clients.
- You’ll receive training in preparation for your role, and have access to ongoing training opportunities.
- You’ll work with a great team of passionate volunteers and supporters.
- Movers who complete 3 moves within the previous 3 months can receive a confirmation of volunteering. A personalized reference letter may be provided depending on overall length of engagement and satisfactory performance.
- Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete an interview process, attend an orientation for new volunteers, in addition to signing a confidentiality agreement and obtaining a criminal record check.
How to Apply
Please contact our Volunteer Services Team at email@example.com to express your interest in this role, and include "Mover" in the subject heading.