Anyone who's found themselves in the midst of an intensive job search knows that looking for work takes a lot of time, energy and dedication. Why waste any of those precious resources? Here at CharityVillage, we're well known for our job board. But are you using the job board as effectively as possible? And what about the rest of the resources we have available?
If you're just browsing the job board, you're barely scratching the surface. Make the most of your time and effort and take advantage of all that CharityVillage has to offer by following these ten tips.
1. Set up search alerts. Don't miss out on any new job postings ever again! Setting up a search alert can save you the time and trouble of browsing through pages of job ads every day or from entering the same search criteria every time you log on to CharityVillage just to see what's new. But don't stop there - once you've saved a search, set up an alert to be notified by email whenever there are new postings that match your search criteria. This is a great way to keep on top of what opportunities are available even when you aren't actively looking for work. You can have up to four saved search alerts for free.
Not sure how to get started with saved searches and email alerts? Check out this step-by-step tutorial and get started right away.
2. Save job ads. What do you do once you find a great job posting that you want to hang onto until you're ready to apply? Save it! HINT: In your Candidate Profile, you'll see a list of all the jobs you've applied to through the CharityVillage site. By clicking on each individual job, you'll be able to see the job description information for that job - even if the listing has expired. That way, you'll be able to review this information when preparing for an upcoming job interview.
3. Browse career resources and articles. At CharityVillage, we know that finding a job isn't always easy, and that career management doesn't end with a job offer. That's why we've compiled a vast array of job search resources and career management articles. Wondering how to handle the dreaded salary expectation question? Or how to deal with a difficult boss? We've got you covered!
4. Sign up for Village Vibes, our weekly e-newsletter. Don't miss any of our newly published career management articles, news or resources. You can sign up here (you may be prompted to log in or register an account).
5. Find meaningful volunteer work. If you're looking to get your foot in the door, volunteering with a nonprofit can be a great option. Not only do you gain experience for your resume, meet new people and get to show off your skills, but there's also that great feeling of giving back. CharityVillage maintains a database of open volunteer positions where you can search for opportunities in your area.
6. Search for courses and professional development events. Needing to brush up on your skills? Check out the eLearning section of our site. In addition to our own online eLearning program, we also have a lengthy list of post-secondary programs focused on fundraising, nonprofit management, and other areas of interest to nonprofit professionals. Looking for something more casual? We also have a calendar of professional development events happening in cities throughout Canada.
7. Research professional associations. Particularly for some nonprofit careers, getting certified or joining a professional association might be helpful in your job search. Browse our list of Canadian and International professional associations - you might find a few new ones to consider!
8. Learn more about Canadian nonprofit salaries. The 2017 Canadian Nonprofit Sector Salary & Benefits Report offers excellent insight into how Canadian organizations are compensating their staff. The report allows you to look at compensation packages for your profession and in your region, helping you to set realistic salary expectations and negotiate effectively with employers. Interested in learning more? Check out this article outlining some of the report's highlights.
9. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. OK, it's true that, strictly speaking, these aren't part of the actual CharityVillage website, but we do post regularly on both Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Follow @VillageJobs on Twitter for live streamed job postings from across the country. For even more job search tips, follow our Pinterest board. Follow us on social media and not only will you hear the latest CharityVillage news, but you'll also have access to unique content that you won't find on our website.
10. Watch a webinar. CharityVillage offers free webinars on a variety of topics - check our Upcoming Webinars page to see what sessions we've got planned and to register. We also record all of our webinars, so take a look at our Past Webinars for even more learning opportunities - including on Networking: The Missing Link to Employment and Job Search Strategies for Fundraising Professionals.
11. Learn about yourself with a free personality assessment. Did you know there we offer a personality assessment tool to all job seekers? You can take the assessment by going to the My Candidate Profile page and clicking on the Take the Assessment button at the very top. Once completed, you'll have access to a full report that will help you better identify the careers and jobs that will be the best fit for your work style and preferences.
Marina Dawson is the marketing & community coordinator with CharityVillage. On most days she can be found singing along with the Beatles while knee deep in copy edits and html code. Contact her today at firstname.lastname@example.org.