Board of Directors Member
Terms of Reference
Birchmount Bluffs Neighbourhood Centre (BBNC) is a charitable, multi-service neighbourhood based organization that offers a broad range of recreation, fitness, social and learning programs to all members of the community. Led by a locally elected volunteer board, we welcome people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities, to participate in our diverse programs and services.
The mission of BBNC is to work with diverse individuals, families and communities to overcome barriers and enhance quality of life. We do this by fostering social inclusion, developing skills and abilities, and collaborating with our partners to facilitate access to a range of flexible and responsive programs and services.
Board Member role:
• Develop, monitor and evaluate the organization’s vision, mission and strategic direction
• Establish long and short term organizational goals, objectives and priorities
• Keep abreast of trends in the community that affect community benefit
• Ensure effective management and operation of the organization and be aware of legal obligations to ensure they are upheld
• Ensure the financial health of the organization through the establishment, approval and ongoing monitoring of budgets, financial statements, an annual audit and resource development (fundraising) strategies
• Participation on a minimum of one committee of the board
• Act as ambassador for the organization and work with the Executive Director to develop and implement community relations plans (partnerships, marketing, etc.)
• Identify and approve policy to guide and support the overall management and administration of the organization
• Responsible for hiring, supervising, evaluating, and/or releasing the position of Executive Director
• Board meetings are held on the third Thursday of the month in the evening from 7:00pm – 8:30pm
• Board members are also required to participate on one committee of BBNC (dates and times vary by committee).
• One term is two years. Board members may sit on the board for a maximum of three terms (six years).
• Demonstrated commitment to the vision and mission of Birchmount Bluffs Neighbourhood Centre
• Knowledge of potential funding and/or partnership sources to support the work of the Centre, including potential corporate, private and public sector opportunities
• Knowledge of effective governance practices including policy, finance, programs management, human resources and/or public relations
• Experience and/or interest in community benefit or public sector boards
• Skills and experience in any one of the following areas are a priority for our organization at this time:
• Business Law / Non-profit Law
• Computer/IT/Web/Information Management
• Volunteer management/non-profit management
• Provide own transportation to and from BBNC
• Have a clear criminal history
• Excellent communication skills
• Encouraging and supportive
• Patient and flexible
• Tolerant and respectful of individual differences
• Energetic and enthusiastic
• Punctual and responsible
• Opportunity to share leadership experience and professional skills to contribute to the services of a growing organization.
• Development of new skills in the areas of community benefit, governance and related responsibilities.
• Meet new colleagues, peers and enjoy networking opportunities.
• Contribute to the community of Scarborough Southwest.
• Complimentary registration to BBNC workshops and training opportunities.
• Training & Orientation provided. A board manual is provided as well as an orientation session for all new board members.
Application and Screening Process
• Written application – submission of resume and cover letter outlining your skills and particular area of interest
• Reference checks
• In-office interview with Executive Director and Board Member
• Toronto Police Services Clearance Letter
For more information, contact the Nominations@bbnc.ca