About Our School
Fraser Academy is an independent school serving students in grades 1-12 with dyslexia and language-based learning differences in Vancouver, BC. It serves a gap in the system where approximately 20% of the student population is underserved by mainstream education. The ripple impact of our programming also has great social value as our student population have skills and strengths which are in demand in the 21st century but can also be vulnerable to mental health, higher drop-out rates, and other risks when not properly supported. We are proud to be at the forefront of educational practices, providing a learner-centric environment with the most effective research-based methods to optimize personalized learning, cognitive, social and emotional development, and post-secondary opportunities setting our students up for a successful life. For more information please visit us at www.fraseracademy.ca.
A rare opportunity for the right candidate! We are currently looking for an Annual Giving & Alumni Relations Officer to join our dynamic and growing team at a time when the School is about to launch a bold strategic plan. Realizing the plan will rely on strengthening the Advancement program to ensure compelling storytelling about the educational and social impact of the School as well as further engaging current, and building our, community to support the school. This is an exciting position that will build on the foundations of the current annual giving program to take it to a new level, as well as establish an alumni relations program. The ideal candidate will have 3+ years of experience in an equivalent advancement/ development role and have exceptional communication, fundraising and overall relationship skills. The perfect role for a keen, go getter who wants to help shape success, and be part of a team committed to high performance and driving excellence!
Position Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Reports to: Director of Advancement
Position Summary and Mandate:
This position is part of the Advancement team within the fundraising and alumni relations functions, reporting to the Director of Advancement (DA). The Annual Giving and Alumni Relations Officer (AGO) is responsible for leading and growing the annual giving and alumni relations programs and provides certain events delivery. It is crucial in contributing to, facilitating, and building strong community engagement, including securing philanthropic gifts to meet/exceed revenue targets, and other, support for Fraser Academy.
Annual Giving Program
Program primarily focuses on securing annual one-time gifts up to $10,000 and multi-year gifts up to, and including, $25,000 (e.g. $5K a year for 5 years). Levels reviewed annually by DA.
- Leads (develops, manages and executes) annual giving program to support fundraising priorities through a plan with annual and longer term goals and strategies to meet or exceed revenue and participation targets to maximize giving in a sustainable way.
- Manages an assigned portfolio of donors, sponsors and prospects (families, staff, alumni, other) towards giving through a proactive relationship based approach as well as executing appeals (direct mail campaign(s) (including liaising with direct mail houses) as well as e-campaigns) to segmented constituents identified by the AGO.
- Manages the full donor cycle of identification (with ability to conduct effective research), qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship and uses the donor database, as well as other processes and systems to support this. Maintains call reports, individual donor plans and strategy notes according to department requirements and standards.
- Creates compelling communications (including cultivation and solicitation materials as well as for website and other mediums) developing content and working collaboratively with Communications. Able to articulate a clear case for support for Fraser Academy.
- Ensures effective, accountable and timely stewardship of donors, through creating individual stewardship plans and working with the Advancement Services & Database Manager for acknowledgement and reporting to other donors.
- Works collaboratively within Advancement to maximize other giving such as helping identify major gift donors from the annual giving portfolio and engaging annual giving donors in other philanthropy such as planned giving.
- Leads and executes on cultivation and stewardship events.
- Engages current students in the program to both promote awareness of philanthropy, and taking part in certain cultivation and stewardship initiatives.
Alumni Relations Program
- Leads (develops, manages and executes) the alumni relations program through a plan with annual and longer term goals and strategies to maximize alumni engagement.
- Populates and maintains Raiser’s Edge / other database software with alumni contact as well as other personal details and information normal to the effective management of alumni relations. This is carried out in line with department standards ensuring, if applicable, when others input information relevant to the program such appropriate information is also managed to these standards.
- Identifies, and works with, alumni to facilitate alumni engagement (including networking and mentoring) as well as participation in school events and as key volunteers for School and Advancement activities.
- Proactively captures, tracks and promotes the life journeys and successes of our alumni of our school and alumni community through effective storytelling such as through creating, or contributing to, newsletters, an alumni display, other publications, video content and social media.
- Works collaboratively with Marketing and Communications and the Post-Secondary Program to coordinate an effective alumni relations program overall.
- Organizes and executes local and chapter, as well as other applicable, alumni events.
- Cultivates, solicits, and stewards philanthropic, and other, support from alumni (students and families) through the annual giving program.
- Engages current students in understanding they will be alumni, and the alumni relations program, including them in select initiatives to support the program.
- Helps lead, and execute other Advancement led events as assigned, as well as support events other relevant events, including PVG events.
- May be required from time to time to help provide events support for other assigned events led out of the Head of School’s office.
- Regularly audits plan(s), creating mitigation strategies when needed, and reports and presents on progress against, and fulfilment of, goals. Works within assigned budgets.
- Works effectively with colleagues within Advancement and across Fraser Academy, including Leadership, ensuring respectful use of time and preparing staff for meetings/events when they are asked to support, or work with, this role.
- Continually maintains sound knowledge on Fraser Academy, including direction, programming, and priorities to be effective in this position and engage community.
- Works with volunteers managing those relationships effectively (including appropriately briefing and preparing volunteers) to support the goals of this role, including Board Directors and the Parent Volunteer Group.
- Maintains a high level of sector and best practice knowledge relevant to the role, and share this with the team, to model a culture of continuous improvement.
Core Competencies and Skills
- Driven and results orientated: loves goals!
- Exceptional client service and relationship skills with excellent written and oral communications as well as listening skills.
- Self-awareness, self-management, empathy, social expertness.
- Initiative & high degree of accountability; takes ownership & possesses growth mindset.
- Committed to high standards, including exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ethical; demonstrates tact, professionalism, discretion and confidentiality at all times including knowledge relevant to role that relate to CRA and the Donor Bill of Rights.
- Team player with positive, fun, “can do” attitude who can build authentic, positive relationships.
- Strong time management, planning, organizational and execution skills; capable of working in a fast paced, high functioning, performance & goal driven, environment, often managing competing priorities and high-volume workloads.
- Financial & analytical skills, including understanding of budgets and how to review and research data, information and identify trends.
- Able to perform tasks efficiently with minimal supervision; reliable and committed to meeting deadlines.
- Solution driven and creative problem solver.
- Flexible and adaptable to a changing environment.
- 3+ years minimum previous experience in Development/Advancement and Alumni Relations in similar role (preferably in a school environment) or in sales and client management with proven track record of success in securing revenue.
- Strong technical skills in Microsoft Office or Google programs (word, excel, outlook, powerpoint or equivalent) as well as fundraising or other CRM databases.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- CFRE designation an asset.
Nature of role may require after-hours / weekend events and meetings and travel outside Vancouver from time to time.
To apply please send your resume and cover letter for the attention of Mr. Neil Johnston, Director of Advancement, c/o: Kane White Consulting via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are accepting applications for this position until a suitable candidates is found. Candidates of interest will be interviewed immediately on receipt of application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest, we look forward to hearing from you!
(please note candidates may be interviewed as applications are received).