The Council of Canadians with Disabilities (CCD) is a national nonprofit voluntary organization of people with disabilities working for an inclusive and accessible Canada. CCD's team of staff and volunteers, who are people with disabilities, promote the removal of barriers that prevent the full and equal participation of people with disabilities.
CCD is seeking for its Winnipeg office a Research and Communications Assistant.
Position Objectives and Responsibilities
- Respond to incoming information and referral (I&R) requests and share reception duties.
- Develop, then maintain, a system for tracking I&R requests.
- Media monitoring on disability issues.
- Update and maintain media contact lists.
- Draft press releases, articles, social media postings, briefing notes, reports for internal and external audiences.
- Updating social media platforms and website.
- Monitor and report on work of the House of Commons.
- Monitor and report on emerging technologies.
- Collect information relating to organization's priorities.
- Maintain personal wellness in order to be an effective member of the CCD team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of social media and related technologies. An understanding of how adapted technology and other communications technologies interface would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team setting which includes staff and volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to work in social justice, non-profit setting.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a disability rights/human rights analysis to policy and media reports.
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings, with the possibility of some travel outside of Winnipeg.
- Knowledge of the Canadian disability rights movement and the Canadian political system.
- Proficiency in both English and French.
Hours of Work: 35 hours/week, with a requirement for some evening and weekend work and some travel outside of Winnipeg. The Research and Communications Assistant will work in CCD's Winnipeg office. This is a term position concluding March 31, 2017 with a possibility of extension.
Start Date: October
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Thank you to all who apply. Only those who are selected will be contacted.