30 hours per week @ $55,000 - $60,000
March 20, 2017
Lead a team of 5+ staff and contractors and report to the Board of Directors
Dynamic and innovative, the Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of The Vancouver Association for Survivors of Torture (“VAST”). The Executive Director will work with the Board and staff to implement the vision and strategic direction of VAST, and is responsible for managing operations, finances, resource development, and human resources. The Executive Director represents VAST, as well as issues related to refugee mental health, on local and national committees, at public education events, and in the media.
About the Organization:
VAST was founded in 1986 to promote the human rights and mental health of refugees who arrive in British Columbia with psychological trauma as a result of torture, political violence, and other forms of persecution on the basis of race, religion, nationality, gender identity, sexual orientation, and political opinion. VAST provides trauma-focused psychological counselling in individual and group contexts, provides psycho-legal documentation for the refugee protection process, provides referrals to health, housing, and settlement services, provides public education to health and social service providers and students in allied health programs, and advocates for the prevention of torture and the rights of refugees.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Operational Planning and Human Resources
- Provide efficient and effective day-to-day management of all aspects of VAST's operations, including management of the organization’s programs, employees, budgets, contracts, volunteers, and community partnerships.
- Promote a positive, healthy and safe environment for VAST’s employees and clients
- Develop and deliver programs and services that advance the organization’s mandate
- Provide accurate and complete reports on VAST's operations to the Board
- Ensure that VAST complies with all relevant legislation, including legislation related to employment, taxation, privacy and human rights.
Fundraising and Financial Management
- Manage and maintain VAST’s funds in accordance with the approved operating budget
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fundraising plans, write funding proposals and participate in fundraising events as appropriate in order to sustain and improve VAST's financial position
- Oversee and meet VAST's obligations to its funders, including annual applications and periodic reports
Community Relations and Advocacy
- Build and foster partnerships with non-profit organizations, health authorities, and government agencies
- Act as VAST’s spokesperson in the community and the media
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree.
- Graduate degree in an applied human services discipline is preferred.
- A minimum of three years (3) years experience in a senior management position at a non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated capacity to:Knowledge and understanding of trauma arising from political violence, forced migration, and resettlement, as well as knowledge and understanding of refugee mental health and/or the refugee determination process are assets.The ability to speak a language(s) other than English is an advantage.
- Manage front-line service programs for marginalized populations. Experience managing programs for refugees preferred;
- Use principles of human resource management in the supervision of staff;
- Successfully engage with individual and institutional donors, foundations, and government agencies in the raising of funds;
- Build and foster partnerships with organizations in the non-governmental and governmental sectors; and
- Act as public spokesperson and represent VAST, keeping the best interests of the organisation, employees and clients as the first priority.
- Criminal record check.
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Applications will be reviewed starting January 23, 2016.
VAST is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage applicants from a diversity of backgrounds to apply.
Please visit our website for more information about the organization.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.