WISH Drop-In Centre Society
Job Posting: Drop-In Coordinator
For more than thirty years WISH has provided a safe place of respite for women involved in street-based sex work. The women who access WISH services and programs are some of the most marginalized in Vancouver; experiencing extreme poverty, homelessness, social exclusion, violence, racism, discrimination and the relentless effects of current and past trauma.
Our goal is to provide safety and respite, consistency in the lives of women, a sense of belonging, opportunities for involvement with WISH and the community and to meet basic needs of women engaging in street based sex work. WISH’s programs include the Drop-In Centre, Mobile Access Project (MAP) Van, Supportive Employment Program, Aboriginal Health & Safety Program, Learning Centre, Transitions Program, and the Music Therapy Program.
**The Drop-in Centre is a self-identified women-only space**
The Drop-In Centre Coordinator ensures the safe, welcoming, sustainable, and responsive operations of the Drop-In Centre. She is responsible for leading, managing, and supporting Drop-In staff, resources, budget, and facilities while providing accessible support and services to women engaged in Vancouver’s street-based sex work. The Drop-In Coordinator reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Ensures the safe and sustainable operations and functions of the Drop-In.
- Plays a primary and leadership role in maintaining a warm, welcoming, respectful, and non-judgemental environment, while ensuring the safety and security of staff, volunteers, participants and the facility.
- Implements, upholds and adheres to established policies, procedures, and practices in a leadership role and in consultation with other staff. May need to do so in response to emergencies.
- Responsible for recruitment, orientation, training, retention, and performance management of Drop-In staff.
- Manages and controls the Drop-In budget and expenses in conjunction with the Executive Director. Works in conjunction with the Fund Developer to secure donations and sponsorships for the Drop-In.
- Develops the monthly schedule and responds to scheduling needs.
- Oversees and ensures proactive and responsive building and equipment maintenance; and responds to emergencies and issues at the Drop-In Centre in conjunction with Supervisors.
- Verifies timesheets in preparation for payroll.
- Compiles and distributes statistics related to Drop-In services and usage.
- Researches and provides information regarding appropriate community services for women, and represents WISH at community events and to community partners.
- Provides appropriate advocacy and support to the women who use WISH while maintaining Drop-In policies and Codes of Conduct.
- Liaises with related community/service agencies, stakeholders, and initiatives, government bodies, law enforcement, students, and individuals that support or come into the Drop-In Centre. Also initiates and develops partnerships when and where appropriate.
- Delegates Drop-In duties, as well as, performs the necessary domestic and maintenance duties pertaining to the Drop-In Centre, including troubleshooting and coordinating repairs.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative, constructive, and proactive working relationships with the other WISH program coordinators in ensuring WISH’s consistent and holistic services to women in street-based sex work.
- Prepares for and co-chairs regular monthly staff meetings, and represents the Drop-In at regular and ad hoc planning/programming meetings.
- Other relevant duties as assigned. Must be flexible and adaptive.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- A strong feminist analysis of violence against women with an understanding of power and its intersection with gender, race, culture, class, physical ability, sexual orientation, and age as well as all forms of oppression based on experiences of colonization, religion, ethnicity and heritage.
- A strong knowledge and understanding of trans-inclusivity, gender diversity, cultural competency and sex work.
- Experience working with Aboriginal peoples and knowledge of the legacy of colonization and the Residential School system.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience working in front line social service delivery.
- Minimum 3 years’ direct supervisory experience of 20+ staff, leadership, budget management, program management, support and coordination is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (de-briefing, active listening, conflict resolution, de-escalation, problem solving, and direct support) is essential.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, creative problem solving and organizational and planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to support vulnerable women while maintaining strong personal boundaries and self-care.
- Demonstrated ability to build a strong team environment with an inclusive and collaborative approach.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, including strong computer literacy.
- The ability to maintain composure in challenging situations and respond to emergencies.
- Familiarity with resources useful for women in street-based sex work; particularly in the areas of poverty reduction, housing, emergency medical care, detox and addictions services, and counselling.
- Experience in the sex industry is an asset.
- Class 5 driver’s license is an asset.
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention and Trauma Informed Care training are both assets.
- Flexibility required for schedule and hours. Must be prepared to fill in for all shifts and Drop-In roles in case of emergency. Must have on-call availability for designated days, including weekends, overnights and early morning.
COMPENSATION & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Excellent benefits package including employee insurance (medical, dental, life, accident and long term disability, MSP) following a three-month waiting period.
- We offer a welcoming, team-based office culture in a location that is close to transit.
- This is a full-time, permanent position with an annual salary range of $50,000 to $52,000 commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to WISH Hiring Committee to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Application for Drop-In Coordinator” in the subject line.
We encourage all qualified individuals to apply and thank all those who do. Aboriginal women and women from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
We thank everyone for their interest in the position. We will only be contacting those applicants selected for an interview. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.