For more than thirty years WISH has provided a safe place of respite for women involved in street-based sex work. The women who access WISH services and programs are some of the most marginalized in Vancouver; experiencing extreme poverty, homelessness, social exclusion, violence, racism, discrimination and the relentless effects of current and past trauma.
The mission of WISH is to improve the health, safety and well-being of women who are involved in Vancouver’s street-based sex trade. Through a variety of responsive programs and services, women can meet basic needs (hot meals, showers, clothing, nursing care, and personal items), receive individualized wrap-around support and services, referrals and resource information, and find a non-judgmental community to participate in programs that engage their spirits, hearts and minds.
The Drop-in Centre is a women-only space.
The Manager of Fund Development reports to the Executive Director and works closely with WISH staff and the Board’s Fundraising Committee. She is responsible for creating and implementing a development and communications plan that details how the organization solicits donors and identifies funding sources such as grants, donations and in-kind donations, charitable events and marketing opportunities.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop an annual fundraising plan with the Executive Director to set fundraising targets, with a focus on grant writing, identification of prospective donors, and donor stewardship.
- Research and write grant applications, reports and other correspondence for prospective and current donors, foundations and corporate funders.
- Identify, research and qualify prospective donors.
- Liaise with Program Coordinators to ensure that funding agreements and reporting requirements are being met.
- Manage the organization’s online presence (Facebook, Twitter and website) and use social and digital media to support fundraising and awareness-raising initiatives.
- Undertake basic graphic design duties as needed.
- Research, write articles, and coordinate distribution of the WISH newsletter, annual report, news releases and other communications initiatives.
- Ensure a steady flow of proposals, reports and stewardship information for current and prospective funders, on a demanding schedule.
- Produce an in–house appeal to individual donors using various computer programs and applications, including MailChimp and Raiser’s Edge (must be able to perform mail merges and segment data).
- Develop and implement campaigns to reach new prospects, targeted by sector.
- Work with the Executive Director, Board Fundraising Committee and others to develop and implement a variety of fundraising strategies to approach new prospective donors and deepen relationships with current donors.
- Manage contacts and gift information in Raiser’s Edge.
- Adhere to the guiding principles and policies of WISH.
- Undertake fundraising-related duties as needed.
- Minimum 3-5 years fundraising and grant writing experience in a nonprofit environment.
- Strong experience and working knowledge of the BC funding landscape is a significant asset.
- Demonstrated experience securing 5-figure+ gifts.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Publisher).
- Demonstrated proficiency in Raiser’s Edge: Must be able to generate queries, import data and other functions related to producing in-house direct mail appeals.
- Ability to communicate persuasively and diplomatically on paper and in person, with a variety of audiences ranging from government funders to individual supporters and community groups.
- Proficiency in social media: Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite and Mailchimp.
- Strong web content writing skills and a working knowledge of WordPress (to update website) is an asset.
- Basic, demonstrable, graphic designing experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including presentation and facilitation skills.
- Self-directed, deadline-oriented, organized and motivated.
- Experience developing and analyzing budgets and financial statements.
- Proven ability to understand and communicate complex issues.
- Proven ability to develop and cultivate community partnerships and relationships.
- Positive, forward thinking, enthusiastic attitude.
- Experience working in the Downtown Eastside or comparable community is an asset.
- Flexibility to perform other job requirements as assigned.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that will allow for the occasional evening and weekend work.
- AFP membership is an asset.
COMPENSATION & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Excellent benefits package including employee insurance (medical, dental, life, accident and long term disability, MSP) following a three-month waiting period.
- We offer a welcoming, team-based office culture in a location that is close to transit.
- This is a full-time, permanent position with an annual salary range of $50,000 - $60,000, commensurate with experience.
For more information about WISH, please visit
For more information or to apply in confidence
(by April 13, 2017) please contact:
Gérard Consulting – Fundraising Talent Management
Phil Gérard, President
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.