“Employees” in this context includes past and present employees and independent contractors of CharityVillage.
“Non-employee Persons” in this context includes individuals who are viewers, readers, subscribers, members, advertisers, contest participants, job applicants, Internet users who are exposed to the media content of CharityVillage and about whom CharityVillage collects Personal Information, as more specifically defined below.
What Personal Information is collected through the Website?
Purposes for Collection of Personal Information
As examples of the above:
- CharityVillage may from time to time use a Person’s Personal Information to contact the Person about changes, enhancements or similar notices related to CharityVillage products and services;
- if a Person indicated that he/she was interested in receiving offers or information from CharityVillage or certain of our selected sponsors or advertisers, CharityVillage may send the Person materials about products and services that CharityVillage feels may be of interest to the Person;
- if a Person enters a contest or other promotion offered on a CharityVillage website, CharityVillage may, under the rules of the promotion, use the Person’s name and certain other information to administer the promotion, such as contacting, announcing and promoting the winners of the promotion;
- if a Person is a Job Poster becomes a user and wants to use our services to create a job posting CharityVillage may use the Personal Information provided by the Job Poster to create posting, process payments, communicate with Job Poster to provide CV IQ service, online assistance and troubleshooting advice and other business communications and services consistent with industry practices, our services and applicable law; and
How is this information used?
Do you share my information with anyone?
To whom does CharityVillage disclose Personal Information and why?
- CharityVillage may also disclose or share non-personally identifiable information with partners, advertisers, merchants and/or prospective merchants to help explain our business and the effectiveness of our business or for promotional purposes. For example, we may disclose aggregated demographic information which does not include any personally identifiable information.
- CharityVillage may transfer your Personal Information to service providers acting on its behalf in order to perform processing and other specialized services, for example, prize fulfillment of our contests, collection of overdue accounts, investigations regarding potential breaches of your obligations, product delivery, or credit card processing.
- CharityVillage may disclose your Personal Information to unrelated parties if we find you have violated any stated terms and conditions of use or terms of sale, or if we need to comply with applicable laws and lawful requests made by law enforcement bodies, governmental bodies or other legal and regulatory authorities.
How do you keep my information safe and secure?
We are committed to protecting the security of your Personal Information. We employ reasonable technical, administrative and physical safeguards to protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, employing industry-recognized technical safeguards, such as firewalls, and have adopted and implemented security procedures to protect your information from loss, misuse or unauthorized alteration. Notwithstanding our efforts, we cannot guarantee absolute or unqualified protection of this information given the open nature and resulting instability of the Internet and World Wide Web, and we make no representations or warranties as to the effectiveness of our security and assume no liability for security breaches due to “hackers” or any failure in the security of your computer equipment, your Internet service provider or other networks and communications providers.
CharityVillage maintains personal information in a combination of paper and electronic files. We take technical, contractual, administrative and physical security measures to protect your personal information, including:
- Only employees who need the information to provide services to an individual or relating to an individual are granted access to personally identifying information about such individual.
- We have certain secure databases where we store data. We also may store your Personal Information in paper document files in our offices.
- The processes of our business include sharing your Personal Information with others to carry out our services.
- Access to this information will be based on a “need to know” basis as prescribed by the requirements of their job function only.
Not all CharityVillage interactions require that credit card information be provided. If you provide credit card information to us, we work to help protect the security of your credit card information by using industry standard secure encryption technology. Please be aware that electronic communications through the Internet (either in terms of online forms or questionnaires or by email) are not a secure medium, and any personal information you send to us through the Internet could be intercepted or captured. If your communication is very sensitive, or includes information such as your credit card number, you should not send it electronically unless the email is encrypted, you have adequate and up-to-date security software installed, you have no reason to believe that the system that you are using has been compromised and/or your browser indicates that the access to our website is secure. Materials posted to online forums such as bulletin boards or chat rooms are public, not secure and may be viewed by anyone. Any personal information you post may be collected and used by anyone and may result in unsolicited messages from other internet users or identity theft.
Refusing or Withdrawing Consent
Subject to legal and contractual requirements, a Person can refuse to consent to CharityVillage’s collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information about the Person, or a Person may withdraw the Person’s consent to CharityVillage’s further collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information at any time in the future by giving CharityVillage reasonable notice and sending such request to email@example.com, unless: i) the consent relates to certain information required for credit approval which a Person applies for or accepts, ii) the consent is otherwise required by law or iii) the use or disclosure is permitted by law or is related to the legal or regulatory requirements described herein. If a Person refuses or withdraws the Person’s consent, CharityVillage may not be able to provide the Person or continue to provide the Person with some products, services or information which may be of value to the Person.
CharityVillage may use the user’s IP Address to:
- Facilitate the diagnosis and remedy of a technical problem reported by the user’s or CharityVillage’s technical team.
- Display (or allow the display by Third Party advertising providers of) more appropriate and relevant content and advertising, such as content and advertising based on the user’s geographic area, demographic profile and Website session behaviour.
- Estimate user traffic from specific countries or organizations. Many IP addresses are commonly associated with Internet service providers, universities, or major corporations in specific regions or localities. Aggregate information derived from IP addresses may also be reported to advertisers.
A cookie is a small text file, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier that is sent to the user’s web browser from a website’s computers and is stored on the user’s computer’s hard drive. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to a user’s computer.
- Improve the operation and performance of the CharityVillage services and to make CharityVillage services easier and more convenient to use. For example, cookies help CharityVillage provide more personalized services by recalling user preferences on subsequent visits. Cookies also allow CharityVillage to save passwords and preferences for a user so that the user will not have to re-enter them on the next visit to the CharityVillage site;
- Measure aggregate user traffic and demographic statistics related to CharityVillage services and advertisements (e.g. number of users, average time spent, average age and similar statistics). This information helps CharityVillage to better understand when to update, change or offer new services and provides CharityVillage with details as to the performance of Third Party advertisements and content. This information may be reported, in aggregate form only, to CharityVillage’s current and prospective sponsors, advertisers and business partners. No Personal Information will be disclosed in such reports;
Links To Other Sites And Advertisements
CharityVillage automatically collects certain information about the user’s computer hardware and software. This information may include: browser type, operating system type, domain names, access times and referring website addresses. This information is used by CharityVillage to operate the service, to maintain the quality of the service, and to provide general statistics regarding use of the CharityVillage Website. Certain CharityVillage Services may be co-branded and offered in conjunction with another company or Organization. If a user registers for or uses such services, both CharityVillage and the other company or organization may receive information collected in conjunction with the co-branded services.
- the act of gathering, acquiring, recording or obtaining Personal Information from any source, including third parties, by any means.
- voluntary agreement with the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information for defined purposes. Consent can be either express or implied and can be provided directly by the Person or by an authorized representative. Express consent can be given orally, electronically or in writing but is always unequivocal and does not require any inference on the part of CharityVillage. Implied consent is consent that can reasonably be inferred from a Person’s action or inaction.
- making Personal Information available to a Third Party.
- employee or independent contractor (including freelancers)1 of CharityVillage
1The inclusion of independent contractors, including freelancers, within the definition of “Employee” is for convenience of reference only, and does in no manner imply that such individuals are employees of the company within the meaning of employment legislation or are in an employee-employer relationship with the company.
- an individual other than an Employee who (a) corresponds with CharityVillage , including complaints and including applications for employment; (b) enters an contest sponsored by CharityVillage ; or (c) uses, or applies to use, the products or services of CharityVillage .
- an Employee or an Individual.
- Personal Information
- information about an identifiable Person, but not: a) information that is publicly available, such as a Person’s name, address, telephone number and electronic address, when listed in a directory or made available through directory assistance; b) business-contact information, such as the name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization; c) information collected, used or disclosed in the course of journalistic, literary or artistic activities; or d) aggregate information that cannot be associated with a specific person, such as demographic statistics about CharityVillage customers, or number of visitors and average time spent on a website.
- Third Party
- a person other than the Person or his agent, or an organization other than CharityVillage
- the treatment, handling, and management of Personal Information by CharityVillage
Principle 1 – Accountability
Principle 2 – Identifying Purposes for Collection of Personal Information
As examples of the above:
- CharityVillage may from time to time use a Person’s Personal Information to contact the Person about changes, enhancements or similar notices related to CharityVillage products and services;
- if a Person indicated that he/she was interested in receiving offers or information from CharityVillage or certain of our selected sponsors or advertisers, CharityVillage may send the Person materials about products and services that CharityVillage feels may be of interest to the Person; and
- if a Person enters a contest or other promotion offered on a CharityVillage website, CharityVillage may, under the rules of the promotion, use the Person’s name and certain other information to administer the promotion, such as contacting, announcing and promoting the winners of the promotion.
Further references to “identified purposes” mean the purposes identified in this Principle 2. 2.2 CharityVillage shall specify orally, electronically or in writing the identified purposes to the Person at or before the time Personal Information is collected. Upon request, persons collecting Personal Information shall explain these identified purposes or refer the Person to a designated person within CharityVillage who shall explain the purposes. Unless required by law, CharityVillage shall not use or disclose, for any new purpose, Personal Information that has been collected without first identifying the new purpose and obtaining the consent of the Person.
Principle 3 – Obtaining Consent for Collection, Use or Disclosure of Personal Information
The knowledge and consent of a Person are required for the collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information, except where inappropriate. 3.1 Generally, CharityVillage shall seek consent to use and disclose Personal Information at the same time it collects the information. However, CharityVillage may seek consent to use and disclose Personal Information after it has been collected but before it is used or disclosed for a new purpose. 3.2 In obtaining consent, CharityVillage shall use reasonable efforts to ensure that a Person is advised of the identified purposes for which Personal Information will be used or disclosed. Purposes shall be stated in a manner that can be reasonably understood by the Person. 3.3 CharityVillage will require Individuals to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information as a condition of the supply of a product or service only if such collection, use or disclosure is required to fulfill the identified purposes. 3.4 In determining the appropriate form of consent, CharityVillage shall take into account the sensitivity of the Personal Information and the reasonable expectations of the Persons. 3.5 In general, the use of products and services by an Individual, or the acceptance of employment or benefits by an Employee, constitutes implied consent for CharityVillage to collect, use and disclose Personal Information for all identified purposes. 3.6 An Individual may withdraw consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. Individuals may contact CharityVillage for more information regarding the implications of withdrawing consent. 3.7 In certain circumstances Personal Information can be collected, used or disclosed without the knowledge and consent of the Person. For example, CharityVillage may collect or use Personal Information without knowledge or consent if it is clearly in the interests of the Person and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way, such as when the Person is a minor, seriously ill or mentally incapacitated. CharityVillage may also collect, use or disclose Personal Information without knowledge or consent if seeking the consent of the Person might defeat the purpose of collecting the information such as in the investigation of a breach of an agreement or a contravention of a federal or provincial law. CharityVillage may also use or disclose Personal Information without knowledge or consent in the case of an emergency where the life, health or security of an individual or property is threatened. CharityVillage may disclose Personal Information without knowledge or consent to collect a debt, to comply with a subpoena, warrant or other court order, or as may be otherwise related to the legal or regulatory requirements described herein. The CharityVillage, its outside suppliers and other third parties to whom we disclose information under this policy may perform activities outside of Canada. As a result, your information may be securely used, stored or accessed in other countries and may be subject to the laws of those countries. For example, information may be disclosed in response to valid demands or requests from government authorities, courts, or law enforcement in these countries.
Principle 4 – Limiting Collection of Personal Information
CharityVillage shall limit the collection of Personal Information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by CharityVillage CharityVillage shall collect Personal Information by fair and lawful means. 4.1 CharityVillage collects Personal Information primarily from Individuals or its Employees. 4.2 CharityVillage may also collect Personal Information from other sources including credit bureaus, employers or personal references, or other third parties that represent that they have the right to disclose the information.
Principle 5 – Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention of Personal Information
CharityVillage shall not use or disclose Personal Information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the Person or as required by law. CharityVillage shall retain Personal Information only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it was collected. 5.1 In certain circumstances Personal Information can be collected, used or disclosed without the knowledge and consent of the Person. (See Principle 3.7) 5.2 In addition, CharityVillage may disclose a Person’s Personal Information to: a) a person who, in the reasonable judgment of CharityVillage, is seeking the information as an agent of the Person; b) a Third Party or Third Parties, where the Person consents to such disclosure or disclosure is required by law. 5.3 CharityVillage may disclose Personal Information about its employees: a) for normal personnel and benefits administration; b) in the context of providing references regarding current or former employees in response to requests from prospective employers; or c) where disclosure is required by law. 5.4 Only those Employees of CharityVillage who require access for business reasons, or whose duties reasonably so require, or properly designated representatives of CharityVillage, are granted access to Personal Information about Individuals and Employees. 5.5 CharityVillage shall keep Personal Information only as long as it remains necessary or relevant for the identified purposes or as required by law. Depending on the circumstances, where Personal Information has been used to make a decision about a Person, CharityVillage shall retain, for a period of time that is reasonably sufficient to allow for access by the Person, either the actual information or the rationale for making the decision. 5.6 CharityVillage shall maintain reasonable and systematic controls, schedules and practices for information and records retention and destruction which apply to Personal Information that is no longer necessary or relevant for the identified purposes or required by law to be retained. Such information shall be destroyed, erased or made anonymous.
Principle 6 – Accuracy of Personal Information
Personal Information shall be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. 6.1 Personal Information used by CharityVillage shall be sufficiently accurate, complete and up-to-date to minimize the possibility that inappropriate information may be used to make a decision about a Person. 6.2 CharityVillage shall update Personal Information about Persons as and when necessary to fulfill the identified purposes or upon Alert by the Person.
Principle 7 – Security Safeguards
CharityVillage shall protect Personal Information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. 7.1 CharityVillage shall protect Personal Information against such risks as loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, modification or destruction, through appropriate security measures. CharityVillage shall protect the information regardless of the format in which it is held. 7.2 CharityVillage shall protect Personal Information disclosed to third parties by contractual agreements stipulating the confidentiality of the information and the purposes for which it is to be used. 7.3 All employees of CharityVillage with access to Personal Information shall be required as a condition of employment to respect the confidentiality of Personal Information.
Principle 8 – Openness Concerning Policies and Practices
Principle 9 – Access to Personal Information
CharityVillage shall inform a Person of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her Personal Information upon request and shall give the Person access to that information. A Person shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the Personal Information and have it amended as appropriate. 9.1 Upon request, CharityVillage shall afford to a Person a reasonable opportunity to review the Personal Information in the Person’s file. Personal Information shall be provided in understandable form within a reasonable time and at minimal or no cost to the Person. 9.2 In certain situations, CharityVillage may not be able to provide access to all of the Personal Information that they hold about a Person. For example, CharityVillage may not provide access to information if doing so would likely reveal Personal Information about a Third Party or could reasonably be expected to threaten the life or security of another person. Also, CharityVillage may not provide access to information if disclosure would reveal confidential commercial information, if the information is protected by solicitor-client privilege, if the information was generated in the course of a formal dispute resolution process, or if the information was collected in relation to the investigation of a breach of an agreement or a contravention of a federal or provincial law, or if the information was collected as part of journalistic activities. If access to Personal Information cannot be provided, CharityVillage shall provide the reasons for denying access upon request. 9.3 Upon request, CharityVillage shall provide an account of the use and disclosure of Personal Information and, where reasonably possible, shall state the source of the information. In providing an account of disclosure, CharityVillage shall provide a list of organizations to which it may have disclosed Personal Information about the individual when it is not possible to provide an actual list. 9.4 In order to safeguard Personal Information, an individual or employee may be required to provide sufficient identification information to permit CharityVillage to account for the existence, use and disclosure of Personal Information and to authorize access to the individual’s file. Any such information shall be used only for this purpose. 9.5 CharityVillage shall promptly correct or complete any Personal Information found to be inaccurate or incomplete. Any unresolved differences as to accuracy or completeness shall be noted in the Person’s file. Where appropriate, CharityVillage shall transmit to third parties having access to the Personal Information in question any amended information or the existence of any unresolved differences. 9.6 A Person can obtain information or seek access to his or her Personal Information by contacting a designated representative at CharityVillage principal office. 9.7 An employee can obtain information or seek access to his or her Personal Information by contacting his or her immediate supervisor within CharityVillage
Principle 10 – Challenging Compliance